What’s It Going to Be This Year?

One Liner WednesdayThis post is part of Linda G. Hill’s fun little series One-Liner Wednesday. If you want to participate in this weekly challenge, please visit Linda’s page. Linda would probably ask that you not pay too much attention to my page, because I don’t always get the “one-line” part of the process. I tend to be more of a 25-30 line guy. Anyway, in honor of the fact that this month is beginning on a Wednesday, I think I have to go with:

I don’t trust March

There, I said it. I’m not saying I don’t like March, but I don’t trust it. I don’t trust it the way Julius Caesar shouldn’t have trusted March. I don’t get crazy like the March Hare, but I understand why he was crazy, you just never know what’s going to happen this month. Just look at the forecast – it’s going to be 64°f (17.8°c) today and 15°f (-9.4°c) Friday night. That’s enough to make the bunnies crazy.

The first four days of March

The first four days of March

Speaking of bunnies, they’re back. I don’t have pictures – yet, because we’ve only seen them at night, but they are in the yard. We joke that we run the bunny maternity ward. The women come here in the spring to birth their babies and then they skedaddle. I guess it’s well known throughout bunnyland that we keep Maddie on a leash when bunnies are around and that the babies are generally safe in our yard.

March, on the other hand, has been known to bring rain and floods and blizzards and snowfall measured in feet. It doesn’t always adhere to the “in like a lion, out like a lamb” edict and it doesn’t always remember that it’s supposed to usher in the most beautiful of all seasons. But, it never forgets to usher in Daylight Saving Time.

March also lingers. Maybe it’s the fact that February was so short, but March seems to be the longest month of the year. January had 31 days, but January flew right by. March will poke its way to the finish line. It’s like March knows that we’re waiting on Easter and for baseball to start and NCAA basketball to end, and it just stands in the way of all that goodness. It’s also like March knows that we’re observing Lent and it hangs around to add a little punishment to my self-inflicted hardships. I think March cheated February out of those last few days. I don’t think February trusts March any more than Julius and I do.

I have about 15 different ideas of ways I could go with the rest of the post…this – one – line – post. See, that’s why you want to go to Linda’s place.

This entry was posted in Current Events, One Line Wed and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to What’s It Going to Be This Year?

I don’t trust March either and, yet, I consider it the month of hope. Hope that the white stuff will go away and the temps will increasingly warm up. Today, it’s supposed to rain, sleet and snow, which means that Old Man Winter and Sparkly Spring are duking it out to see who gets the upper hand. I’m rooting for sparkles.

2. March is no doubt the longest month of the year and the muddiest. :-)

3. quiall says:

They do say: “Beware the Ides of March”! I say beware it all!

You were much kinder on your treatment of March than I usually am. March brings out all the bad words I can think of and even then I could invent a few more. The best part of March is April.

5. March is my birthday month. I trust it completely. Have to so I can remember how old I am. Or not..

6. Marching in like a lion up here. But that’s normal for these parts.

Thanks for the reminder about daylight savings time! That’s something to look forward to!

7. Don’t trust March, Dan? Heck, it’s been so bizarrely mild all winter (here) that I’m afraid there will be a blizzard in April… or May for that matter. Ouch… time to “spring forward” already?
    Anyway, have a wonderful Wednesday!

8. Jennie says:

In like a lion, out like a lamb.

9. I am excited this year about March, because of the mild winter we have had. I am hopeful that there will be no snow, but then again that can change when it comes to our area. I thought your additional lines to One-Liner Wednesday were funny. I say stick with what you want to say. I feel better knowing someone else expands upon the One-Liner Wednesday, although I have yet to post in One-Liner Wednesday as I have so much more I want to say and I can never think of sentence without wanting to write more.

Thanks. I think it’s totally appropriate to build upon one good line. These always end up being some of my shorter posts, and so far, Linda hasn’t yelled at me. So, I think I’m good.

March is the cruelest month and remind us of that….it snowed last night.

11. Mél@nie says:

yeah, I do know why you don’t trust March: we do live on different meridians… :) but as someone said: if you don’t like where you live, just move away – you’re not a tree! ;)

There’s a raging snow storm out there right now. Lol, those geese are going to be so disappointed when they get here. #InLikeALion

Gee, Dan, February did fly by as well as January. I’m stunned that it is March already. In checking my gardens I see Tulips popping up and because last year the bunnies had a feast I flew to Amazon to buy Liquid Fence which will be here tomorrow. OH no not this year, you don’t! Bunnies are cute but they can do a whole lot of damage in my gardens. They ate my Tulips last year! LOVED your gallery, Dan. Your sense of humor rocks, FYI. Keep on smiling and keep on looking up. Spring is here! I’m gonna try to get up on a ladder to photograph ONE Maple Tree bud coming to life IF the wind behaves. Do you know what I go through just to get ONE bud to come in clear? AND I will not agree with you about trusting March. I’m gonna predict it will be warm and rainy but with lots of sunshine too (hold the rain on your end) with not one more flake of snow. That is my prediction. These weather forecasters have no clue!! LOL <3

You make three friends who are absolutely certain that there will be no more snow. I hope you’re right. Be careful on that ladder. We appreciate your effort, but photos from a ladder are dangerous.

14. I love the squirrel ready for a fight.

15. I love March… one word (ok, two words): Daylight Savings!

16. This is hilarious. Okay, maybe March isn’t trustworthy, and it always has Lent. But hey, it’s also got St. Patrick’s Day, and the number of sunny days should be on the rise. And April is coming. :)

17. jan says:

Out here in California it’s definitely coming in like a lamb – but a very cold lamb.

18. Great shots, Dan. I don’t trust March either.

19. Ah, yes, Daylight Savings time. Sigh. March has started out like a lion here in the Chicago area, that’s for sure. The wind has been roaring since late afternoon yesterday as has the rain (now looking more like snow.) Quite a day for my husband’s birthday! :-) Julius and I share the Ides of March, although one of us departed the world that day while the other came in, although the year part of the dates are more than a few years apart. Ash Wednesday service tonight, preceded by a dinner, so it’s almost time to get on the road. Happy Wednesday, oh, great protector of the bunny young!

Ha! I like that title, but I need to pass it onto my wife. Let’s hope your similarity with Julius never gets any closer. We’ve got wind and rain coming and cold later this week. It’s hard to know. I hope you see a lamb before you have to spring ahead.

March is LONG, and it offers none of the charms of April. April’s better, methinks. March usually means ice storms and hellawind here. Like today, it was like, 46-55 but the wind was rippin and I had to wear a coat AND a hat!
    I haven’t seen any bunnies yet. Of course, the back 40 lies untouched, too.

21. In France we say: “Mars qui rit malgré les averses prépare en secret le printemps.” Don’t ask Google translator: “March that laughs despite the rain showers secretly prepares the spring.”
    So, you see, nobody trusts March much.
    As for me I want to see the bunnies.

I like that saying. I like to think that somewhere, behind the scenes, spring is being prepared. Thanks for sharing that. I’ll have bunny photos as soon as I’m lucky enough to catch them out in the light.

22. I just changed the perpetual calendar this morning and was going over all the good things that are going to happen this month with #1 Grandson…like St. Patrick’s Day, First day of Spring, his friend’s 5th birthday party, mine and Papa’s 36th wedding anniversary, and DLST.
    I’m teaching him about those tricky Leprechauns, and wearing green so not to get a pinch, and he’s looking forward to a green treat. I’m looking forward to longer hours of daylight, and my anniversary. I just have to ask He-Man what date it is? I never can remember the date.

I’m so glad the bunnies, and Snoopy are back! The early morning images of the city are lovely.

I’ve heard from a few birthday boys and girls and a few lovers of the green. I did say that it’s not that I don’t like March. We are worried that the unseasonably warm weather we had in February has things off their cycle, maybe even those bunnies. We have bushes that are budding, and I don’t think that’s going to end well. The grass, such as it is, is greening up a bit. That’s good for the bunnies, but it’s going to be in the teens this weekend, at least at night.

Enjoy St Pat’s with #1 Grandson, that should make some special memories. And, figure out what that date is and enjoy your anniversary :)

23. John Holton says:

I have to like March– it’s when my birthday is…

So far the pro-March crowd is made up of birthday boys and girls. I only said that I don’t trust it.

• John Holton says:

Actually, neither do I. in 1993, after it had been warm here for a week and a half, we got dumped on with the worst snowstorm that kept us in for over a week. They say it comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb, but it’s just as likely to go out like a lion, too.

You’re right Dan. It is a fickle month. A few warm days lulls folks into planting things early, only to have them shrivel during a late frost. Heck, here I am with a new kayak and the temps dipping 20+degrees and ghastly winds over the weekend. ☹️I do have a couple of birthday boys this month so that makes me a bit more tolerant…

Brrrrrrr……..yeah maybe next weekend I can christen her for the maideb voyage. All the azaleas are blooming and finishe early here because of the warmer Winter.

26. sharukhbamboat says:

I don’t trust March either. Although I am born in March I still believe it never brings me much happiness. During school days, exams and birthday clash together and therefore the birthday celebrations are always short-lived. During work, March is more hectic because companies are busy with their year-end account work so not many holidays this time around. I prefer April and other months. Not even December.

Quite a few people commented about having March birthdays. You might be the only one that still doesn’t trust the month. Do most businesses in India operate on a March year-end?

• sharukhbamboat says:

Yes. I believe almost all businesses in India operate on a March year-end. It’s not that I don’t trust the month, but a series of coincidences happening in March and December have made me believe that astrologically both these months don’t bring me enough luck. October and November bring me some relief and cash.

Hey, Dan, hey, Dan — Why are soldiers happy when April comes? Because it’s the end of a 31-day March! Haaaaaahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa! I got a million of ’em. And I stole ’em all from Henny Youngman.

28. Pingback: Its April’s Turn | No Facilities