How Can I Say No?

"Why are you here?"

“Why are you here?”

MiMi wants a fire. It was 8°f (-13.3°c) overnight, heading to a high of 31 and a low tonight of 7. Maddie wants to go for a walk. The temperature has risen into the teens, but the wind is gusting around 30 mph (48 kph), which is fast enough to drive the cold right through my jeans. And, MuMu wants is screaming to be brushed.

I want to read the paper.

That ain’t gonna happen.

At least not until MuMu has been brushed and Maddie has been for that walk. My wife will light the fire after church – I’m not allowed to play with matches, but my wife is a sap for MiMi’s sad expression and the way she goes and sits on the firewood as if to say: “here it is. You just put this in the stove and…heat.”

It might be cheating to write a short post and load it with cat and dog photos, but these guys don’t seem interested in having me sit at my laptop much longer. Check out the video if you’re cold this morning…MiMi’s not.

Remember this post on Wednesday, when I go over the limit on that whole one-liner thing.

This entry was posted in Family, New England Life, Pets and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

62 Responses to How Can I Say No?

Happy pup, indeed!

2. niasunset says:

Lovely little friends… and beautiful photographs. Blessing and Happiness to you all. Thank you, Love, nia

3. Haha, you’re a good pet listener. And that happy Maddie photo is a jewel. <3

4. I saw a Persian cat at work earlier Dan. Despite it being a rather beautiful creature, I would swear on a stack of bibles that it wanted to kill and eat me, such was the look it gave me.
    Still, you don’t like to grumble do you :)

Loading up a post on photos of the furry family with always be a hit with me :)

What lucky animals, to have two such good peoples! That happy Maddie photo is a classic, for sure. I loved this post and NO, not just because it was short!! You have a beautiful feel for the personalities of the animals who live with you. I enjoyed visiting with the family. :)

Your little guys are a riot! They don’t let up, do they? That is some crazy cold weather, Dan–I don’t know how you do it.

Thanks Lois. Maddie and I didn’t walk for very long. The wind actually blew the zipper apart on my parka. I snapped the sides together, but I turned us back in the direction of home. Sometimes, she’s ok with a short walk. I think it’s the fact that we went for a walk that matters. Plus, as you can see by the ears, we played in the yard once we got back home.

8. quiall says:

Animal pictures are ALWAYS successful! And yours are adorable!

9. Love the custom andirons. Dan. You can’t say No!

I must confess that some of “my” best posts are attributed to a cat resting on my keyboard.

11. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, guess we know who rules the roost! Love the furry friends photos! Animals even have guest posts in Blogosphere. We only have 2 dogs (fur babies) that take center stage in our house! Love it! Happy Monday! 🎶 Christine

Sitting by my own fire while reading this post, Dan. I certainly understand MiMi’s desire for one. Though I am a little jealous that unlike her, I have to put it on myself! ;P

Yes, but you can have one whenever you want one. MiMi gets upset when my wife gets a fire “ready to light” on a stormy night, but doesn’t light it. She wants it to be ready, in case we lose power. MiMi sees all the stuff going in and then the doors close without any flames :(

13. Makes me long for our wood-burning stove and a good fire, Dan. Although today isn’t bad, it’s going to get cold by the end of the week again. Thanks for sharing a bit of warmth today.

I feel we should get a prize for writing about our pets and the weather today. I wonder how many other people will share similar posts? Jealous of MiMi’s fire. Although, in a moment, I’ll be in my office and people there build their own fires with space heaters ;)
    Great photos — so many cute faces :)

THAT is cuteness overload! How could you ever resist Mimi’s desire to be warm, Maddie’s desire for a walk and Mumu’s cry for a good brushing? Resistance is futile. For ever and ever.

I’m sending some warm your way, I think. At least for one day. It’s in the 50’s here today, with rain. Then back to colder air and wind on Tuesday.

I don’t often get photos of MuMu. I had to use them. MiMi doesn’t hardly make any sounds at all, she’s pretty easy to ignore. MuMu, on the other hand, is loud and demanding. We joked that we should have named them the other way round so we could have a screaming MiMi. It looks like we’re going to be in between the 20s and 40s this week. I’ll take any leftover 50s you have.

16. That’s a nice fire. I prefer short posts, now that I have to read more😉 your running dialogue with the animals is exceptional. I don’t like cold, it’s why my husband keeps the fires burning.

17. Adorable pup and kitty, indeed. Those eyes will get an owner every time.

My cats have me wrapped around their fingers too. I do believe we are the pets and they are the masters.

19. Have to keep everyone happy, Dan. A fire on a cold day is a step in the right direction :-) Stay cozy!

20. Our pellet stove is roaring. She’d probably be sitting on top of it. :-)

21. That fire looks wonderful blazing! I can almost feel it. :) Mi-Mi has the right idea. Stay were it’s warm!

You’re a Saint. I wouldn’t be out in 30mph winds. I’d let Diva Dog out and stand by the door cause I know she’d be right back.

22. Aunt Beulah says:

Sounds like you are experiencing Craig Colorado’s kind of cold, Dan. Makes one feel a bit desperate for spring, doesn’t it?

23. Aw…
    The three of them are impossible to resist. No, you cannot say no. That’s it.

24. sharukhbamboat says:

I must say you write some of the best captions. Were you in advertising industry earlier? You can easily win those fill-the-caption contests if they have any over there? I love the images you put up with the content.