Thursday Doors – At the Reservoir

Building at MDC Reservoir #1

About a year ago, I shared doors from the Saville Dam at the Barkhamsted Reservoir. That reservoir was built to help augment the water supply for the city of Hartford, Connecticut and as it grew and began its expansion into the suburbs. In 1929, the State Legislature created the Metropolitan District Commission, which operates the Saville Dam and several other dam/reservoir projects around the region.

The Metropolitan District – a public non-profit municipal corporation was created by the General Assembly in 1929 to provide quality potable water and sewer systems for people and businesses in the Hartford area.”

Water is a precious commodity and controversy surrounds many of the water-supply dams and reservoir projects. However you may view these projects and their impact on the region, the MDC seems to be doing a good job. They have the important task of providing safe drinking water, processing waste-water and sewage. They do that job well, and they provide recreational access to many of the wooded areas around the reservoirs and watersheds. In fact, most of the articles I found about the reservoir system in West Hartford, refer to the hiking and recreation opportunities.

I’m not sure when the West Hartford Reservoir was first established. The MDC took over control of the complex in 1929 when it was formed. It appears the reservoir is less of a water storage reservoir than an immediate feed to a water purification plant. According to the MDC website:

The 1960s began with the expansion of the West Hartford water purification facility and the fluoridation of the MDC’s water supply – a program that dramatically improved public health by reducing cavities in the Hartford area.”

OK, let’s add “fluoridation” to the list of controversial projects.

The following is the only tidbit of historical information I was able to find, and I wasn’t able to verify it.

“…Opened in 1867 to supply Hartford and West Hartford with pure water, this reservoir is the oldest component of the present regional water system.”

As you may remember, Faith and I hiked around the reservoirs a few weeks ago. The 3.2-mile (8.4 km) hike was extended, a couple of times by Faith, with: “I like to go this way…” At the end, we had walked over 5 miles, but it was fun.

Prior to our hike, I had taken photos of an odd building alongside Reservoir Number One. Everybody who has been near the reservoir knows about this building, as evidenced by the quick: “oh, yeah yeah, I know that building…” you get when you describe it. But, no one seems to know what its purpose is/was. I can tell you, from peeking in the windows, its being used to store boxes of paper records, today.

Those two “photo ops” yielded a few interesting doors, so I thought I’d share them with you today.

Why?

Because it’s Thursday, silly.

Municipal governments all over the world recognize the Internet phenomenon that is Thursday Doors. Brought to us each week by our fearless leader Norm Frampton, up where the water is still in solid form, a.k.a. Canada, Thursday Doors is an easy way for us to share photos and stories about beautiful, and not so beautiful doors. If you want to submit a door (no charge, no judgment), simply follow the watershed and pipelines to the Norm’s pump house. When you get there, check out his doors and then look for the blue frog. The frog will be at the bottom, because, potable water, no frogs allowed. Anyway, click on that little tadpole and visit a vast array of doors.

Thank you for visiting No Facilities. I have been busy with work and travel lately, but I always try to visit as many doors posts as I can, in what remains of my week. The gallery is large today, because of the two set of photos. Click any photo to begin a slide show.

This entry was posted in Connecticut, History, Thursday Doors and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Thursday Doors – At the Reservoir

You checked all the boxes today, Dan! A hike, doors, gates, bridges, cool stone and brick buildings … even a round one!! Today was a Grand Slam! 2 Thumbs Up!!

2. Handsome doors surrounding one of our most precious commodities – water.

3. I love the first little building and its doors, and the three geese. Well done for such a longish hike (at least if you ask me, the sitting Taurus).

Around here, we have the Lake Worth Drainage District and neither their buildings or doors are this interesting! Just the basic cinder block construction with ordinary doors.

5. That little building is so cute! I was surprised at the great doors in that last shot. Sounds to me as though they’re going a pretty darn good job of water management. What these days is without some controversy? :-)

Thanks Janet. It’s true, wherever there’s people, there’s someone to complain. The big dans flooded some small rural towns, but the region needs water and this system works pretty well. Some of the doors are massive.

6. The gate keeper’s house is so cool. I love old buildings where the purpose is questionable and our wonders take over. I also like Faith’s take on hiking. 5 miles a great distance, but I believe it paid off. Hope your travels have been enjoyable, Dan.

I love the entire dam area and can understand why the 3 mile hike turned into a 5 mile one. There is plenty to look at and many buildings, doors, bridges and earth-digging equipment worthy of a photo or two. Nice post today, Dan. Enjoy the rest of your conference and safe travels to you.

Thanks Mary. Home now. Mt Maddie has been reestablished. This was a fun hike on s beautiful day and great time with Faith. All the photo opportunities were a nice bonus.

OK, let’s add “fluoridation” to the list of controversial projects.

I remember how upset people got when fluoride was added into Twin Cities drinking water – but Holy, Moly, you should see what Mother Nature adds to our well water: Iron, Manganese….. and the list goes on and on.

Ooh that bridge! I particularly like the first shot. It’s a pretty place :)
    I remember a dental hygienist barking at me about making sure my children had plenty of tap water, and then barking at me that we should make sure our filter didn’t remove fluoride. And then there are those who bark about the dangers of fluoridation. I think we can all agree on the water part, though. Humans of all age and size need water.

10. I just love that first little redbrick building. It would make such a lovely home and in a beautiful setting, too.

11. These are charming doors and buildings — and the bridge too, Dan. The one in the “protected zone” has me curious. Have a thriving Thursday. Mega hugs!

12. Great selection of images to take us around the Reservoir today. That brick house is lovely! As is the little bridge to the pump house.

I like all the stone work too, #1 GS did love the excavator, he saw it then proceeded to tell me all about its parts. :)

I’m happy to hear that #1GS liked the excavator. I was just going to include the door photo but I remember you saying he liked the photo of the other one. I do too. I really liked the bridge. Thanks for your comments on the photos, Deborah. I really appreciate those.

I like that little brick building as well as the stone one in the last shot.
    Yes indeed water is a precious commodity and those who work to provide us with safe clean water often go unnoticed. As for water in its solid form, we’re kinda getting sick of it here. The goods news is that when it eventually all melts we’ll have plenty of fresh drinking water :-)

14. For all the times I’ve visited Barkhamsted Reservoir growing up in the Hartford area, I don’t remember visiting the Saville Dam. Cool pictures. I need to check it out next time I’m in Connecticut. Thanks for sharing.
    Donna

15. I guess you are right about the controversies surrounding water projects. Desalination plants and the yuckily-named “toilet-to-tap” systems are constantly debated here. Your reservoir, and the lovely doors, look so serene… who’d have a problem with that? Oh, wait… people.

16. Reservoirs are places of Mystery alright. Loved the photos.

17. paintdigi says:

Nice posts.
    Beautiful blog.
    Congratulations.
    Welcome to see my creations:
    Paintdigi.comm

18. This was a great tour, Dan. Super photos. :)

You get extra points for: beautiful little brick building with two-tone door, lots of stone buildings, a round STONE building. So much to love in today’s pictures! Points off for no Maddie, though. Sor-ree.

The photo with the little red building and the three geese….as if on cue. Such a great photo, Dan.

21. Candy says:

What a fun field trip ;-). I love that mysterious old building.

You are so honest and straightforward, Dan! I try to guess or make assumptions which sometimes brings results from my readers! ;)
    The hike was a productive and pleasant one, shared with your Faith. She’s great at taking the correct shot(s)!
    My favorite one is the bridge and gate, followed by the purification building and liked how it jutted into some brilliant blue water. The skies are lovely in several pictures, Dan. :)
    My youngest daughter, Felicia, attended and graduated from (UD) U. of Dayton. Their basketball arena is really beautiful. I never attended games but she went as well as my ex-husband. Their photos came out well. So, I would “root” for them! :)

23. msgt3227 says:

You know I have to like the door on the Cat the best, right? Told The Mrs I wanted one for Christmas, but she must be saving it for my birthday present….

I love the little red building! I could live in that. With the geese in my yard too! Great photos as always Dan. That looks like a great place t hike.

25. Gwen Plano says:

Beautiful photography…thank you for sharing.

26. slfinnell says:

Could take a fishin’ pole along to a nice setting like that 😊 nice doors too!!

27. p9510 says:

Looks like a good place to clear your mind and chill out, escaping the bothers in life. Oh and good photos and descriptions too my friend, nicely done! :-)

28. sharukhbamboat says:

Seems like a place far away from any residential area. I like the image of Faith working hard to get the right image. I felt the place is quite spooky, at least for me. I guess in India you never find a place where you are the only person around. The population never lets you be lonely. :)

29. Pingback: Thursday Doors – Crane Doors | No Facilities