It’s a Man’s World at the Bar Today

For the love of beer

The perfect place and beverage to share some casual conversation.

If we were having a beer, I’d be trying to keep a secret from you.

“I don’t think there’s a barman on duty today.”

“Cheryl’s on duty. She’s probably in the back. Barman, what’s that all about?”

“Sorry, I’m trying to use words with ‘man’ in them.”

“Why?”

“Actually, it’s your fault.”

“How’s that?”

“Your stupid blog. I read some of those Stream of Consciousness things and I started following that Linda woman.”

“Linda G. Hill?”

“Yeah, she has a pretty good blog. I don’t have a blog, but I try to play along.”

“So, I have to listen to you try to maneuver the conversation today around man-words?”

“Not only that, you have to pay for the privilege.”

“Hey guys! This is a surprise.”

“What surprise? We’re here every Saturday.”

“He wasn’t sup…”

“…That’s right Cheryl, I’m buying. I’ll have a Yuengling and whatever the old man wants.”

“Yeah, the ‘old man’ will have a glass of Meiomi and I’d like an explanation.”

“You should have said ‘I demand an explanation’ that’s how SoCS works.”

“Ha, that’s a good one.”

“Here’s your wine, your beer and why’d you shush me?”

“I was thirsty, Cheryl. I just wanted to get the order in.”

“You were kind of rude, where’s your manners boy?”

“That’s a good one.”

“Ahem, so, before you cut me off, I was going to say that I thought you were going to be in Iowa.”

“Ix-nay on the ip-tray, Cheryl.”

“Dude, pig-Latin, we aren’t five. What trip?”

“See, there you go again. ‘Yo man’ instead of ‘dude’.”

“Ugh, I’m not very good at this.”

“Keep practicing.”

“Wait a minute. This is twice you’ve tried to manipulate me away from the subject. What trip?”

“I had been planning to visit my brother this weekend. The trip got postponed. No big deal.”

“You boys want any food?”

“Wings, bar…”

“…beque with parm pep. I got you covered. How’s it feel to get cut off?”

“Calamari.”

“Did you see the specials? We have fish tacos today. “

“I had fish tacos the other night.”

“Where? Have you been cheating on me?”

“No, but he’s trying to cheat me…out of a story. Where exactly did you have fish tacos?”

“Minneapolis airport.”

“Minneapolis is pretty close to Iowa. You were in Minneapolis, but you didn’t visit your brother. Where were you before Minneapolis?”

“Orlando.”

“I knew it. You didn’t want me to know that you missed another snow storm.”

“Look, I came home to deal with it, so I didn’t miss the whole thing.”

“Were you here on Tuesday? Were you here for the freakin blizzard?”

“No, I got home early Thursday morning.”

“Thursday? Why bother?”

“I wanted to clear the snow.”

“I thought you had a plowman. See, plow-man?”

“Yeah, nice. I do, but he only does driveway and the sidewalk.”

“What else is there?”

“I do paths in the yard for Maddie. Paths so my wife can get to the firewood and paths for deliveries.”

“Deliveries? Like the mailman?”

“Yes, and UPS, FedEx and the newspaperman.”

“Here’s your wings, and your calamari. You boys want another round?”

“Oh yeah.

“So, lemmie ask you. If you had to be here for the snow, why did you go to Orlando in the first place?”

“I had to be at a meeting on Monday.”

“You mean like a command performance?”

“Yes. Nicely done. Besides, they hadn’t given an estimate of how much snow was going to fall before I left.”

“I know, I think the weatherman needs a new almanac.”

“You’re getting good at this.”,

“OK, boys, Yuengling, Meiomi and the check. I’m leaving early today. If you don’t mind, I’d like to clear this before I go. I comp’ed you another round if you like. If not, it will be here next week.”

“Thanks Cheryl.”

“Yeah, thanks Cheryl. Take his credit card though. It will give him a chance to practice his penmanship.”

In a highly unusual alignment, this visit to the bar has also been part of Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday. Today’s prompt was:

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “man.” Use it as a word by itself or find a word with “man” in it. Have fun

For those of you who are fans of our little redhead, here’s 20 seconds of crazy:

This entry was posted in If having a beer, New England Life, SoCS and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to It’s a Man’s World at the Bar Today

1. Val Boyko says:

Man, that was good, Dan!

Man, that was a great response to the prompt. It was like an homage to The Man Show. You da man, Dan! Since you have worked 21 versions of man into your post, you deserve 21 bonus points from Linda. I would give them to you, but I’m too busy trying to manage my Saturday and the coffee pot. Have a maniacally wonderful day with the editor and redhead.

3. Nicely managed, Dan. I need more coffee before I try to take that any farther. ;) Have a satisfying Saturday. Hugs!

4. Man, oh, man, you managed to manhandle that subject in the usual manner. But before you command me to stop or try to dismantle my post, I’ll stop. However, if any one else wants to join the mandatory manhunt for appropriate words but can’t think of many, you can go to http://www.wordfind.com/contains/man/ to find Scrabble’s guide to words that have “man” in them and really have some fun. :-) Ain’t the internet grand?

5. … and now my weekend can begin. Hope the sinus thing clears up!

The Maddie film was awesome! Great post, Dan.

7. MAN o’MAN, that was fun seeing your MANiacal Maddie take MANy trips up the MANmade snowhill behind your MANsion!

Mount Maddie is YUGE!!! And she’s so cute! :) I am SO hooked on Yuengling, now. It’s cheaper than Dragon’s Milk, too, so double thanks!

Ha ha – you’re welcome. I’m going to continue my research for these posts, this afternoon with a couple Yuenglings. Mt. Maddie might get a little bigger overnight. The weather folks don’t seem to know for sure. Some say “a dusting” some say 5″, some are honest and say that they just don’t know.

9. Love Maddie’s Mountain. Good for her.

This was so much fun! I liked your rainbow glistening reflection in the “arc of snow” rising up to create Mt. Maddie!
    Dan, hard to take my eyes off dear Maddie and focus on the subject matter. You are the “man of the hour” for my morning blog reads! ;)

11. Jennie says:

Great post, Dan.

Ah, I’m quite pleased to say that for a change, last week’s storm did not find its way this far north! #Win

13. John Holton says:

You have managed well, my son….

Man, Look at Maddie’s tail GO! :D
    You and I both had a big week, and we took the same route with ‘man’ today.
    Hurrah for the weekend! :)

15. JT Twissel says:

At least Maddie loves the late snowfall! I’m afraid to blog as I am in Hawaii where it is 80 degrees.

16. Good work with all the man words. Looking at your photos makes me happy I live in LA. :)

17. LucciaGray says:

Wow, you were able to get a lot of ‘man’ into that conversation:)

18. I have one of those mountains but no beautiful Maddie to enjoy it. :-)

Fish tacos? I do not think I could stomach that.

When husband and I lived on the UP of Michigan, husband made the path from our front steps to the neighbor’s steps for deliveries too. It is the community thing to do.

Maddie really hams it up for your camera. Maybe you should think about putting her in movies.

She is a ham! I’m glad to hear that, at least in some places, it’s a community thing to do. We seem to be alone on our street, but I used to be a mailman, and my dad was a mailman and I know how good it feels to see that path.

I didn’t think I’d like fish tacos, but I had some in Florida that were made with Grouper, and they were really good. The fish is deep-fried little nuggets. I would prefer regular tacos, but these are a nice change.

Man o’ live, I enjoyed this manly post. It looks like you got about as much snow as we did, Dan. Peeps finally woke up here and I hear forecasters were outright fired. LOL They’ve been so wrong for so many years …. and now this was the winner. Billions of dollars lost over a mere few inches of snow. Just about everything shut down here when a state of emergency was called for New York. What a joke! So darn glad we all MANaged to survive the horrible storm. ;) <3
    PS I totally enjoyed watching Maddie. What a complete joy she is!! :)

You’ve had a good winter for Mt Maddie. I love how she instantly drops the ball and goes into a completely different zone when she hears the dog barking off in the distance :)

22. Crap, I only gave this a passing glance on Saturday and thought the word was beer. I don’t drink beer so I didn’t participate. Really, I should say…. Man, Dan, I should read your posts even when I am being lazy.

23. Mount Maddie is impressive as is Maddie, who was definitely on a “roll” until that noise in the distance requested her undivided attention. I do believe the Yuengling label says it is perfect for sinus headaches. Man…how could it not be?

24. You really did good using the prompt Man! I liked the banter at the bar, and snow. That was a lot of snow!

The video of Maddie made me smile. She was so happy running after the ball and her mountain of snow. :)

25. sharukhbamboat says:

Great creative work using the prompt in this way. Loved it. The images below the content were equally good. Maddie must have loved the snow this year, not sure if it is still snowing there.

I think we’ve switched to rain for tonight, but the forecast was calling for snow up until yesterday. We have had snow in April before. We’ve actually had snow in early May, but not for 20 years or so.