It Takes a Weekend to Return to Normal

After our walk

Weekends are important part of life. At least they are while you’re working. I don’t know if I’ll still appreciate weekends after I retire. I hope so, but I wonder if I’ll start doing weekend things during the week so I won’t have to be out in the weekend crowd. I think I might like avoiding the weekend folks for some things, but not everything. Some things belong on weekends.

For example, watching a little bit of sports at a bar. That’s a weekend thing. Oh, sure, there’s Monday Night Football, and according to some, but not according to the ratings, there’s Thursday Night Football. Oddly enough, there’s the brand-ownership-battle-scar called “Thursday Night Football on Sunday” because the NFL owns “Thursday Night” but Fox or CBS own “Sunday Night.” But baseball, college football, college basketball, college women’s softball, and the never-meant-to-be-televised sports of auto racing, golf and tennis, all are better suited for a weekend afternoon. And, they are all better viewed from your favorite stool at your favorite bar. Tuxis Grill, 2nd stool from either end.

I was there yesterday. A women’s tennis match was on. I quipped to the guy next to me: “next week, baseball.” He replied: “it’s good thing. I can’t take much more of this.”

After several weeks and weekends that were complicated by travel, preparing to travel, recovering from travel, I realized that it takes a normal weekend for my life to settle down and feel right. It takes waking up a little later – 6:00-ish instead of 5:00-ish – and sitting with Maddie. Maddie greets me during the week, and we sit, but it’s not the same. On the weekend, we sit, then we go out and check the perimeter and then we sit some more. Then she puts her head on my foot and goes to sleep while I read a few of your blogs on my phone and look at the paper. Then we go for a walk.

I know, boring, but it helps recalibrate my senses.

Soon to be part of the 7th Cavalry

I may do all manner of tasks on the weekend, but they don’t seem like work. I either enjoy what I’m doing, or I do it in a way/place that makes it more tolerable. This past weekend, I finished our taxes. Working on a computer, just like I do during the week, but different. Comfo

rtable. I was reviewing our taxes Saturday night while watching “As Schools Match Wits” followed by a few Twilight Zone episodes, including: “The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms.” That might not bode well for the accuracy of my refund, but it felt good. I also started writing this post, and Wednesday’s and next Saturday’s, and I gathered the doors photos I’ll be sharing on Thursday.

That’s normal. That’s normal and that means I’m going to have a normal week. I’m going to go to work for five days, like I haven’t in three weeks. I’m going to get coffee, stop and have breakfast at Maddie’s, pick up a pizza on Wednesday and watch baseball. OK, a normal week doesn’t include baseball, but since the Pirates are opening their season on the road in Boston, there will be three games on TV this week.

I’m going to extend my weekend into my work week by wearing a Pirates tee-shirt under my dress shirt on Monday. That dress shirt will be black, too. I sometimes do that on Friday, too. I like to give the weekend a head start. Since we can wear jeans on Friday, I dress for the weekend and then camouflage it under a dress shirt. Sometimes, I even wear my weekend watch.

Are your weekends different? Are they special? If you’re retired, do you have a favorite day of the week?

This was the song playing while I was in line for ice cream. It’s pretty easy to wait while The Who is playing.

This entry was posted in Family, New England Life, Opinion and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

69 Responses to It Takes a Weekend to Return to Normal

Looks like Spring is definitely stretching her toes for you guys. Yay! BTW. We love auto racing. Hubby will even watch dragsters on tv. Me, I only watch LSU or The Saints (if they are in a winning mode) . Days for me were made to be outside. My Dad will watch anything that resembles a Sport on tv, including Japanese boys baseball. Yeah, he has a disease. 😉 I do love American Ninja Warrior. The stuff is rough. Hope tour week goes by smoothly and warmly.

2. Sorry but my study schedule makes no exception for weekends. 3 – 4 hours a day for 5 days whether I like it or not. So, I get Wednesdays and Fridays off. Weekends, bank holidays – what are they – all the same to me. I have enough going in the house (studies, model railroad, model car building, playing the concertina) – who needs to go out! I do miss male company though:-)

It’s good that you’re staying busy. You and your counterpart on this continent (best friend) are amazing, having both gone back to college after retiring. I am proud of you guys.

My weekends are usually pretty full. There’s shopping, laundry, food prep, church, mom, etc. This past weekend I finished cleaning off the patio, took a few things to the storage shed, got the car washed, stopped for coffee and breakfast and wrote three posts. It was a busy one!

I probably won’t care if I have a “weekend” once I’m retired. Every day will be Saturday and I’ll get to sleep in…unless Gibbs decides otherwise ;-)

4. Being retired allows us to ‘go’ Mon-Fri and then chill out Sat and Sun when everyone else is out and about. It’s less crowded, easier to get a table, lines are shorter, and the roads are way less crazy. It’s good. You’re much ‘deeper’ than some think. I really like the Pirates t-shirt under the dress shirt. Hope it is a good game. :-)

Thanks Judy. My wife handles most of the out-and-about chores during the week. She will not go grocery shopping on the weekend. I will hit stores like Target, if I need stuff, but I try to avoid Home Depot and stores like that. The one near where I work opens at 6:00 am, so I will stop on my way to work it avoid having to go on Saturday. I hope the shirt helps the Pirates. Their management wasn’t willing to spend much preparing for this year, so I’m not very optimistic.

When you retire I think you’ll still have that ‘image’ of the weekend. We’ve been looking forward to it for so long, (believe it or not I still have trouble with getting any ‘get-up-and-go’ on Monday).
    But I also feel you’ll find that it’s easier to get your daily chores done during the week (while everyone else is at work). After 7 years retired though – I find it difficult some times to remember what day it actually is!! :)

Weekends are great, but, like all great things, they are very short.
    I love how you sit with Maddie till she sleeps. She’s a very secure dog. I also love the birdhouse. And, of course, the squirrel. You have endeared me to squirrels. I have only ever seen one in Kenya (and that was in 1995) and I don’t know where I’d go to see them. But seeing their photos here all the time, how they live, how they sit and hold the food with their hands–I have become endeared to them.
    Thanks, Dan.

I’m glad you enjoy the squirrel photos, Peter. We love watching them. The two little ones that lost their mom made us pretty sad, but it’s been so heartwarming to see them start to figure things out. They’ve been repairing their nest, scrounging for food and running around like children.

7. quiall says:

I went on long-term disability 15 years ago so I got used to not working a long time ago. I still relish my weekends cuz I get to meet my friends who are still working.

8. Happy new week, Dan. I had to chuckle at “it takes a normal weekend for my life to settle down and feel right.”…. because I think I need a normal year to feel right! LOL. :D
    I love that Twilight Zone episode. It totally freaked me out as a kid. Monday hugs!

9. Val Boyko says:

Weekeneds are different in retirement … you get to choose exactly what you want to do. Now a yoga teacher, I choose to work 😉
    Those 1971 memories came flooding back to me. It was a tough time in the UK and the world… but the music was terrific!

Thanks Val. I am pretty sure that my retirement will include some amount of work. I haven’t decided what I will be doing, but I have some options that should allow me to stay “busy enough” and maybe still appreciate a weekend, albeit a longer one. The early 70’s did bring us some challenges, along with some great music.

10. You can see in my last post how my weekend went. It’s like that at least once a month. Weekends are still different around here even though I don’t have to go to work. They are the only times I talk to another human other than on Skype (or briefly in the evenings). That’s why I’m so grateful for all your blogs. Other than that, I remember how basketball matches of our local basketball team Olimpija Ljubljana meant the world to me and we watched them in a bar too. Now we don’t even watch Italian national team soccer games. No need, amore says, we know who will win. :D

She puts her head on your foot and goes to sleep? That is the sweetest thing!

12. We took the weekend to recover from two very busy weeks. Hiwever, that recovery was full of must do shopping and cleaning. Never ends.

13. For so many employed years, like you, I looked forward to and cherished the weekend down time. So much so, it’s hard to break the habit, so Saturdays and Sundays still feel different from the rest of the days. Of course, one year into retirement might be a bit too soon to tell.

But I wonder if I every will feel differently? So many people still follow that pattern, it’s easy to get caught up in the rhythm.

One thing I have noticed: in my blogging circle there is less happening on weekends than on weekdays. Not sure what you can do with that information, but there you go.

Happy Monday!

Thanks Maggie. I tend to do most of my writing over the weekend, but I only publish once. I like the schedule I have. It works for me and it works with my work. I’m not sure what might change in the future. Then again, I tend to be a creature of habit, so…

Watching baseball in a bar can never match the magic of baseball radio competing with the putt-putt of the neighbor’s lawn mowers on a warm Saturday afternoon.

I liked the part when I was young and worked weekends. And then I’d have a day or two during the week to do things when pretty much no one else did them. Now and again, The Mister’s had a schedule similar to that, which is nicer for a couple, but harder to enjoy with a family, and so we all got excited when he went back to M-F. I should think retirement is more like “all days are the same.”
    I don’t like going out on weekends with the crowds, and I don’t think it’s going to get better with age.
    Baba O’Riley’s intro is one of my fave things :)
    I love the photos of orphan squirrels and birds. I watch my critters in an amount disproportionate to my photos of them.

I don’t like crowds either. Even when I go to the bar, I pick a time slot that is after the lunch crowd clears and before the dinner crowd arrives. I carry my camera when I walk with Maddie, and we’re forever watching the little guys outside. I used to work (long time ago) weird shifts and strange hours, with no real weekend. That was the worst. It always seemed like a workday.

16. Back to normal is a good thing for sure.

17. Love the pics….weekends are all around Football (collegiate and professional) in our house…my wife and I are always lost this time of year….so we fill in with say “March Madness” and then the Final Four….after that it’s getting into summer things until preseason football starts changing our weekends back to football. We’re really not that bad, but almost :) I have always loved weekends to re-group and re-generate!!

My favorite day of the week is Thursday, because THURSDAY DOORS all day and Southern Indiana Writers Group in the evening, with Yuengling on draft. Or maybe it’s Tuesday, because I go to the grocery with my boyfriend (husband), watch NCIS with Mom, and Daughter #4 calls and we talk for hours. Great photos, Dan!

19. Normal? :-) After going to school, I taught for a few years and maybe for that reason, weekends have always seemed special, whether homeschooling, “not working” (for pay), or working part time. “Come Saturday Morning” is a song that feels like the weekend to me. Saturday is for fun, Sunday is for church and then more fun but as you say, it may be working fun or other. I’m with Marian about Tuesday nights, as I’m a big “NCIS” fan and Friday nights for “Blue Bloods.” Any night or day is special if the Blackhawks are playing, but hockey is coming much to rapidly to a close, leaving me bereft.

Home schooling and homemaking are both work in my book. Although, my friends who home school seem to hind teachable moments all over the week. I don’t get to see the Penguins play much up here. Only if they’re playing a NY or Boston team.

20. Sharukh Bamboat says:

In India, most people have week off only on Sundays which ends before you know it. I, on the other hand, don’t have weekends. I usually work 25 days straight and then there 5 days when the projects are done and I can take a break. Sometimes I can’t tell the difference between Sunday and Monday, it’s the same thing for me.

That cliche about being busier after retirement than before feels true for me. I kinda-sorta have a routine that sometimes gets followed, but most precious to my routine is the weekend because of Martini Night.
    When I have a particularly busy week, I need downtime and the weekends are perfect for that, especially Sunday. Sunday just seems like a great day to be self-indulgent :)

First of all, I love the Who. I will listen to this again after my note is complete. I liked the neighborhood critters, Dan. You have been getting great squirrel and bird photos, seem even more professional than when I first followed you. . . Maddie is a dog after my own heart! The perimeter walk and hikes with Maddie all bring me images of my youngest brother, Rich. Glad you are having a regular week! :)

Thanks Robin. The squirrels and birds are posing longer ;-) (and, I’ve recently “borrowed” a few photos from the Mrs)

Maddie is a creature of habit, but she’s so happy when we do the things she likes. She can be a handful, but we try to do the things that work.

• reocochran says:

I forgot that a couple pictures are borrowed from the Mrs. :)
        My brother Rich’s golden retriever is a handful and he runs him for over three miles a day, hoping he won’t pull on toilet paper or figure out another “surprise” to show his parents why he definitely flunked obedience school. ;) He is funny and good as gold with children and their attention, chasing balls and rolling around. Hamlet is probably 7 years old and act like a big, cuddly baby, Dan.

It looks like the snow is melting fast, Dan.

24. msgt3227 says:

Retired. What’s a “weekend” that you speak of??? Any day that ends in “day” is my favorite…. :D Don’t wear a watch anymore. Don’t know what day of the week it usually is. Nor date. Except the 19th…. Pension checks come out on the 19th!!

25. I would guess the “week versus weekend” feel is very relative and unique for each of us. Living near a lot of shopping I find there often isn’t much to “choose” from. Crowded highways and streets almost all the time. For me, I think I’ll always prefer relaxing on the weekend regardless of any work obligations. Those photos are great Dan. We have our share of squirrels and birds out and about right now also getting prepped for springtime!

26. jolynnpowers says:

Weekends are super important for me and my family Tom works away from home all week and we only see him on the weekends. So Friday night is dinner out and Saturday night is dinner with the whole family. This is just about the only way we can all keep in touch. I often try not to plan anything but family time on the weekends. I actually mark my work week ending on Friday at 4 pm when I get see him.

I definitely tend to favour weekends as my main “work” days. Part of that is personal, but it’s also practical — the electricity rates are lower on the weekends and holidays, so being the compulsive saver that I am, I want to do the bulk of power-draining work during those times. Vacuuming, laundry, baking/cooking etc. Plus, it’s also a bit psychological, I think. I like to think I’m pretty efficient, so by essentially providing myself with a 2-day “deadline”, I simply seem to get more done!

Wow, there’s a lot of thought in that. I wonder if our rates are cheaper on the weekend? I consume a lot of electricity on weekends during the summer, but I don’t plan it that way.

• Wendy Brydge says:

I liked it better when I was on tiered pricing. But last year, the electric company switched everyone over to time-of-use. I was furious. With the tiered pricing, it was x-amount for the first 600 kwh, and then a little bit more for everything over 600. But the highest price was 11 cents/kwh. With time-of-use, you pay a certain price based on what time of the day it is. You have off-peak hours (usually late evening and overnight), mid-peak and on-peak — the latter two switch times depending on whether it’s winter or summer. On-peak price? 18 cents/kwh, which is absolute insanity. Thankfully they make weekends and holidays a 24-hour off-peak time, so that’s when I want to get stuff done. Though even off-peak is more than 11 cents/kwh (the most I was paying before) — so it’s not surprising that there’s a lot of anger and discussion in the province of Ontario right now over electricity prices. Everyone is upset — including me! O_o

The Twilight Zone is so versatile, isn’t it, Dan? It can cheer us up, prompt a good discussion, or just give us a good chill. But it’s always fun. Glad to see “The 7th is Made Up of Phantoms” get a shout-out — being a history buff, I’ve always enjoyed that one. Great pics, too!