Woof – I Got This One

This is Maddie talking, and this post is mine. The topic Linda put out there for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is not going to go the way he thought.

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “yard.” Use it any way you’d like. You can even add letters to it to make a whole new word! Have fun!

Minor League Standings

He wanted to talk about baseball. As in the Hartford Yard Goats. Let me tell you, that’s a sad story. He would tell you how wonderful it is that they finally opened their new – $71 Million – stadium. I say it’s a waste. Total waste. $71 million spent and no dogs allowed on the grass. Well, unless you consider the Portland Sea Dogs, who seem to be doing pretty well. At least the Yard Goats are doing better than the New Hampshire Fisher Cats.

You should thank me for stepping in. Not only can he yap on forever about baseball, a Yard Goat is a type of locomotive. Do you really want to be here while he talks about baseball and trains? And, I peeked at the photos he was planning to use. He hasn’t been to a game yet, but he has a construction photo that includes a crane. People, I’m doing you a huge favor. You guys should give me a cookie or somthin.

I’m the perfect person, yes, around here, dogs are people, to write this story. My entire life is a stream of consciousness. Like when I bark at those guys because I have to go out into the yard to, you know…but when we get out there, I smell something or I hear something and my mind wanders. Five minutes later, I’m still sniffing some patch of something and they’re dragging me back in and I’m all: “Wait, I forgot to pee!” Linda says these posts should have minimal planning, I got that in spades.

Anyway, the prompt is “Yard!” Yard is my prompt because it’s my yard. I own the yard. My yard! I’m the one checking the perimeter every morning for signs of intruders, not to mention actual intruders. I’m the one who barks at the intruder-wanna-be that shows up every morning carrying a newspaper. They tell me he’s OK, but I know he wants in my yard. I don’t mind the bunnies, birds and squirrels, as long as they behave. A few days ago while I was walking mom around, the big bunny ran in front of me. That’s not fair. If you run, I run. That’s how dogs work. I forgot about that leash being connected to mom. I forget things pretty quickly. Where was I?

Oh yeah, in the yard. I do two things in the yard. Not those two things. That’s all people ever care about with dogs, that we do those two things. The two things I do in the yard are play and sit. I like both, but I like sitting the best.

We are coming into prime sitting weather. They built this patio for my cot last year, and I let them know when it’s a good day to sit. Actually, every day is a good day to sit. When they take me out, I walk over to the cot (they keep it on the porch). If they don’t bring it out, I walk them over the patio on my way to, you know. Sometimes it takes more than a few hints before they catch on, but eventually we sit. I’m sure he’s got a bunch of pictures of me in my yard, and I know you’d rather look at me than some stupid crane.

This entry was posted in Family, Pets, SoCS and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to Woof – I Got This One

1. Mike Powell says:

Enjoyed the post, Dan, and the photos, especially the couch shot.

In your yard it appears you live a dog’s life, eh? :)

3. quiall says:

Always a pleasure Maddie!

Maddie should be given the SOC reins more often for her unique perspective :)
    Great photos … and I’m not just talking about the bunny!

Thanks Joanne. I think she knows she has a fan base. We just got back from our walk. I have a draft “if I was having a beer and she had a bowl of water post”. It’s not ready for prime time but maybe as we sit more often, I’ll figure out what she really thinks.

5. Val Boyko says:

It really is a great life for a happy dog 💕

6. Hey. Is there a linguistic connection between Setter and Sitter? Inquiring minds and all that.
    Nicely done – please give Maddie a treat for me. And tell her that I meant to comment on her personal pet cot some weeks ago. Now THAT’s a cool thing for a pup!

Thanks. I’ll pass sling your kind thoughts, Maggie. She loved that cot. It was supposed to be a tent-like thing, but she doesn’t like the cover. It would give her shade but now she shares the umbrellas, so…

Maddie, you are so friggin’ adorable! Thanks for saving us from baseball and cranes. I’d much rather look at you and the bunnies, although I’m a little perplexed. Where’s Mimi and Mumu? Were they too busy sleeping to join you?

8. I think I mentioned once that Maddie could have her own blog and following. Love the post, well, except for the slam on the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. :-) If ever Maddie needs dog sitting, I’ll meet you half way. And, yes, after all this hard work, she definitely needs a cookie or two. Hope you all get to sit out this weekend. Looks like we have more rain coming.

Sorry about the comment, Judy, but cats. She took me for our walk and we avoided the thunderstorms that are threatening us this morning. She has had several treats, and I’m sure we’ll be sitting this afternoon.

Oh for a dog’s life! I laughed out loud at the pic of you on the couch somewhere with Maddie sprawled out. Too funny. Really enjoyed this post, Dan, and the pics tell the tales all by themselves. Those weeds sure do look pretty, you must admit. Our lawn is dotted with bright yellow called dandelions. Just more food for the bees and bunnies. :) <3

Thanks Amy. The bunnies like to eat the leaves of those “weeds” and we like looking at the flowers – win-win Sometimes, we even mow around them :)

I know you know all about caring for an animal with some special needs. Maddie is more work than any Irish we’ve ever had, but she can be adorable, so…

• AmyRose🌹 says:

Dan, the work is endless some days as only I could know. Our cats are family and that is who Maddie is too. That is what love is all about, doing what we must to help those we love. Keep up the great job!! Clearly by what I see Maddie is loved and well taken care of. 💖

I showed this to Scooter and his response was…Squirrel!

Clever take on the post today, Dan! I think Maddie deserves an extra half hour out on the cot with you for her contribution!

12. She’s so pretty.. And loved entirely, which is so wonderful to read about. Not to say the crane isn’t equally stimulating…somehow.

Good morning, Maggie! You need to let your human give you the reins more often. What a great post. Who is more qualified than you to write about ‘Yard.’ No brainer, right? Great writing, great photos. Have a good one, Maggie. Keep those humans in check. You are the head of the household. Be sure to remind them of that. Often. Very often. –Teemu and Parker

14. LOL. It seems Maddie jumped right into this post. She must have knocked you down, getting in front of you, Dan. Love the pic of her on the cot under the umbrella. Adorable. Happy weekend hugs.

15. LOL! Great post! You really put a smile on my face this morning. She’s so cute!

16. I love it. A Maddie retrospective on her yard. Well done.

17. Maddie, would it offend you to say this post is the cat’s pajamas? I hasten to add that it’s just a saying that my dad has used for years, but if you don’t like it… Anyway, you did a doggone good post and you’re right about baseball. I’m completely into hockey anyway.

18. C.E.Robinson says:

Maddie, I read this to Charley (Shih Tzu) and he couldn’t stop smiling or wagging his tail! He can relate. The backyard is his domain! He sniffs every inch and lays around in the sun. Oh, yeah we call him Dory when his mind wanders on walks when it’s time to do you know what…any sound, dog, cat or person distracts him. He’s not interested in cranes either, unless they got wings & beaks! Woof, woof Charley (and his Mom) 🐶💛🐶

19. Laura says:

I love these photos!

Aw, Maddie, great post! You’re soooo pretty!
    I love how you dogs are always in the now. That’s how my dog rescues me :)
    I don’t mind cranes or trains, but thanks for savin me from the baseball! ;)

21. Val says:

Maddie, ‘cot’ is a little confusing to a Brit (if you want to know what a ‘Brit’ is, it’s a no-paws aka human that likes dogs but isn’t an American.) Over here ‘cot’ is what babies are put in, not dogs. Dogs sit on cushions, in baskets, on chairs, on the floor. ;-) Here – have a chew. Good dog.

“Brit” is kinda confusing. I mean, I’m Irish but not sure if that makes us best buds or not. Still, you say you like dogs so that’s good enough for me. I guess this is more of a dog bed, but my humans call it a cot. Actually, they’ve been trying to use other words lately, ‘cuz I know that one and I get excited if I hear it. Anyway, thanks for stopping by and for getting me a treat ;)

22. Sharukh Bamboat says:

I love all animals and birds too, but I am more of a dog person. I just love to play around with them.

Just…..awwwwww……

24. That’s a wonderful doggie voice. Love your shots as usual. Wish I had a backyard.

Aw, Maddie, it’s so nice of you to share your yard with the bunnies, birds, and squirrels! You’re quite right to draw the line at humans, though! I would MUCH rather see pictures of you than of mechanical cranes. And your new cot looks just as comfy as your old one, but suitably pretty, as befits you. <3

Thanks Marian. Thanks for being so understanding. I didn’t mind the old cot, but my humans felt is was about to tear through and leave me on the ground like a dog. I don’t mind laying in the grass, but I get bugs on me, and I carry them to the couch.

The photo of Maddie and your feet in socks was a great one, Dan.
    There’s a lovely sense of contentment in that photo. :)
    Oh, what a fun and silly dog you have! I like that your favorite person looks like a friendly (and loving) person. You found a partner worth her weight in gold.
    I’m sure Maddie doesn’t mean to pull on her arm, but “Wait! It’s a squirrel!”

Aw, thanks Robin. Maddie forgets sometimes that we are connected but she often comes back and gives us a lick or a smile. She and I like laying on the couch for short spells. Yesterday, during thunderstorms, she snuggled in between my legs and the corner of the couch.

27. Aunt Beulah says:

I think the phrase, “It’s a dog’s life” is complimentary in nature, as though things are going the way they should go, and, Maddie, you just proved me right. Thanks.

28. There’s a lot of dog-walking that occurs around our area and it often goes head-to-head with wildlife such as geese, ducks, squirrels and the occasional ground hog. Even the most well-behaved dogs can go “sideways” when paths get crossed. Leashes get strained and the unfairness of it all is on full display. Unfair for the dogs…pretty good deal for the other animals. Picture of Maddie at the “foot” (or the head?) of the sofa is priceless.

Thanks. Maddie is a good hunter. She gets very quiet unless the animal in view bolts. When the bunnies mosey across the yard, she watches. I’m sure she’s expecting me to bag her some dinner, but she tolerates them well. If they do run when they see her, and she’s connected to us, the sad story is what happens to us. We do our best to avoid other dogs. Maddie isn’t very social. And, she loves her couch.

29. This is great. You can feel her calm on that cot. And I love it how she took over when she saw ‘yard’. :)

Thanks! She gets so calm on that cot. It’s a little bit annoying at times, when she wants to sit and we don’t, but it does a lot of good for her. She’s much easier to deal with on the days when we sit.

30. Liu Min says:

Great pictures! The dog looks just too cute! I have a Lab in my family. Sadly, my dog doesn’t have a big yard to play around so twice walk outside the cement building in a day is all he awaits. :) Enjoy your day Maddie!

The couch shot is a great one, Dan, but I’m leaning toward the one of Maddie in the shade of the umbrella as my favorite.