Mystery Blogger Award

Huh? Dan doesn’t do awards. Well, truth be told, Dan almost always does plans to thinks about doing wishes he had done – Oh, who am I kidding, Dan doesn’t do awards. So, why on earth is the first and likely only award I’m ever going to deal with, is one where I was nominated by a young woman, Emily Susanne, whose tag line is:

“Growing in God and Inspiring Young Women Through Faith and Fashion”

I mean the God part works for me, but the rest is a bit off the mark.

Emily writes “Fearfully Wonderfully Me.” I think I met Emily when I was hosting Just-Jot-January for Linda G. Hill, and I think I was attracted to her blog by the title. Since the format of this award is similar to others, I thought I could satisfy a bunch of them in one post. I’ll put all the rules and junk at the bottom, or, better yet, go read Emily’s blog. She has all that stuff listed. See, this is why I don’t do awards, I stink at following directions.

Anyway, I’m supposed to tell you three things about myself. Well, these won’t surprise anyone, but here we go:

1) I am married. I have a lovely/loving wife, a beautiful daughter who is on her own, and my wife and I share our house with two Tuxedo cats and one dopey Irish Setter.

2) I enjoy photography, woodworking, cranes, trains and planes and I like riding my bike (the pedal kind).

3) I was born, raised, educated in and permanently aligned with the sports teams of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – Let’s Go Pens!

Now, I have to answer Emily’s five questions:

1. Would you rather skydive or bungee jump (if you had to choose)?

I’m going to go with neither. I like stable platforms on which to stand and in which to travel. I guess, if I was in a plane that was going to crash, I’d try a parachute. How’s that?

2. Name a pet peeve of yours.

“A pet peeve?” I guess that means one. OK, I’m going to go with “when people are mean.” That covers a lot of ground, but if you’re being mean, to people, animals, the earth, God or yourself, I’m not happy with you.

3. What do you like to do to relax?

Of all the things I like to do, writing is the thing that helps me relax. People often comment that I’m organized and dedicated to this writing stuff – me, organized? – but it’s a selfish pursuit.

4. What is something you’ve learned over this past year?

The plural of dilemma is dilemmata. Seriously, I have a draft blog post of the stuff I’ve learned this year, and that one of them. I learned that from Marian Allen. You can learn a bunch of stuff from her.

5. What’s your favorite summertime treat?

Ice cream. Specifically, a Flurry from The Dairy Cream in Windsor Locks, made with chocolate soft-serve and chunks of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup.

Here’s where I’m supposed to nominate 10 – 20 of you. I know that a lot of you don’t do awards, so I’ll offer five questions as a writing prompt. Do the award, do the questions – your choice. As Linda would say, “have fun!” Before I get to that, I want to thank Emily. I like her blog, I sometimes skip the fashion tips, although I do need to learn how to accessorize better. OK, here are your five questions:

2) Coke or Pepsi?

3) Continuing Emily’s theme a bit, what’s one thing you hope to learn in 2017?

Comments are enabled today, but I will be very late in responding. As always, thanks so much for stopping by No Facilities. By the way, the Gallery might be a bit of a mystery – I’ll explain at some point.

This entry was posted in Awards, Blogging, Prompt and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Mystery Blogger Award

1. 1. I have lived in eight different places. I was born in a close-in suburb of London and now live on the Ipswich Waterfront. Guess which I prefer!
    2. Coffee (Dan tells me that he can’t remember a day without a Soda – as you Yanks call it). I can’t remember when I last drank one.
    3. In no particular order – write software, build model trains, play the concertina, read books – we don’t have a TV so nothing from that gets a mention.
    4. 2 beers would do it!
    5. None. I have lived a magical life – four kids, no family problems, financially OK and still in love with my wife after 50 years of marriage. I did have an ex-colleague who lost a son in a train crash -closest disaster I have experienced.
    Is that it?

That’s a good list and a good life. Thanks David. I don’t drink much soda these days, mostly coffee or seltzer, but Coke vs Pepsi still explains a lot. Look back later for a comment from Wendy.

2. “Dilemmata?” They couldn’t use an “s” like all the regular words? Sheesh.

After you explain the mystery of the gallery, perhaps you could explain how to disable comments. I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Oh come on….I had you totally pegged as a bungee jumper! 😜
    The pets look seriously sad. 😔Are those dogwood blossoms? So beauitful. You could pay me to do an Algebra problem before an audience as long as you don’t expect me to solve it. 😀

4. 1. I was born in NH, lived in NY, MO, and KS, and moved back.
    2. Coke always. If not, water please.
    3. There are several crafts I’d like to learn, and I’d also be interested in how you turn the comments off on a post.
    4. There isn’t enough money in the world to get me to do an Algebra problem.
    5. I’ve lived through years of tornado warnings and too many to count winter storms and one hurricane that left us without power for seven days.
    Hope Maddie is feeling better. :-)

5. Enjoyed your answers, Dan. Blog “awards” are the chain letters of the Internet. I did a few at first. Nearly all of them come from people I don’t even know… so those are more like spam. Chain spam. I just ignore them now. Have a marvelous Monday. Hugs.

So many great comments here today – I’m sure not going to compete [I;m a bit boring actually, but I would try sky diving, couldn’t be any more uncomfortable than riding a camel!!]

7. Liu Min says:

I do enjoy all your posts! I guess it’s because each followed with nice pictures, especially the ones of Maddie (Aha I’m a dog person can’t help with it). How do you arrange the pictures as the way they are presented? It seems too difficult for me to arrange pictures neatly as how you managed. By the way, I hope Maddie is fine.

Thank you for the nice words and kind thoughts about Maddie. The pictures are arranged in a ‘gallery’. Upload a bunch of pictures. Do the ‘insert media’ option and choose ‘create gallery’. There are several options to select. I used ‘Tiled mosaic’ – then click ‘create gallery’ and ‘insert gallery’ and you’re done.

If you don’t like the arrangement, you can add, delete, or rearrange the photos.

I use the old WP editor, do the instructions might vary with the newer one but I have done it there too.

8. Val Boyko says:

I love your answers Dan. Still chewing on dilemmata and getting around Apple spell check! That’s a pet peeve of mine.

Congrats on the award, mystery man Dan! I hope Maddie feels better. Mimi and Mumu–adorable, of course.

I live 5 miles from where I was born. I think you know I’m happy to have returned :)
    Either’s fine, but Pepsi with real sugar is easier to find than Coke with real sugar.
    I want to learn how to properly can tomato sauce. It’s nice to have a few jars in the fridge, but it’d be better to have 30 in the cupboard!
    I think my rate for performing public algebra would be right around $50k. I do some algebra here and there with Moo and it takes me a long time. Also, it hurts. I tell people Moo is two years ahead of me in algebra because I didn’t do this stuff til I was a freshman, but really, she’s about ten years ahead of me in practice.
    I was in a tornado last fall. I’m okay, but neither my sunflowers nor the siding on my garage made it.

I do know you were happy to return. I thought public algebra would cost more, but I didn’t think about the homework-help connection. Scary about the tornado, I think they are the worst, so unpredictable. Check out JoLynn Powell’s Mountain Momma blog to learn about proper canning. I think she could can algebra 😊

I am not good at awards either, Dan, but I can certainly comment on an award winner’s post.
    1) I don’t believe I would go back to my hometown. It’s a nice place to visit and it brings back wonderful memories, but it would take a certain set of circumstances to take me back. I love my current community and much that is available in a larger city.
    2) I no longer drink soda, but back in the day it was always Coke. Classic Coke.
    3) In 2017, hope to learn of new bike trails and more of the super duper knowledge that I glean from reading other bloggers.
    4) One million dollars and a mask so that nobody could identify the stupid chick trying to do an algebra problem.
    5) None. Unless you count snowfalls greater than 12″ or the time that a tornado passed by two blocks from our family home or the time I was without electricity for four days due to a bad wind storm.

Thanks for the response, Mary. Your normal winters would qualify as a disaster in about 40 states and most countries – I’ll give you that one. Coke? I don’t drink soda anymore either, but it was Pepsi. Maybe $1m, but no mask. Well, maybe a cheesehead hat.

12. 1) If you’re no longer living where you were born, would you like to return? If you are living there, have you ever thought about moving? I was born in Southwest Iowa…left there at the age of 10 to move to Eastern Iowa (Cedar Rapids)….after college moved to Denver, then to San Diego, then to Seattle and now Phoenix. (would return to San Diego or Seattle)

2) Coke or Pepsi? (Coke when I use to drink soda)

3) Continuing Emily’s theme a bit, what’s one thing you hope to learn in 2017? Great question that I would need to ponder on….

4) How much money would I have to offer to get you to do an Algebra word problem in front of a live audience? There isn’t enough money on the planet…

5) What was the last natural disaster that you were affected by? (None is an acceptable answer, and you’ve lived a magical life). The massive fire that swept San Diego County in 2007 – earthquakes were more welcomed then that type of fire…

That’s interesting Kirt. I never thought about returning to an intermediate spot. Seattle does have some drawing power. I saw a wildfire in southern CA from a good safe distance, but I can still only imagine his scary it might be. Thanks for sharing your response.

13. I think we’ve made history here Dan! Lol, thanks for passing down the award. And thank you SO MUCH for saying such awesome things about my blog. You’re awesome. So are your tuxedo cats!

14. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, bravo! You have an unconventional creative edge accepting awards! Fun to read. Did the “not following awards rules” a few years ago. Time consuming, had to stop. Kept the great worldwide blogger connections though. Always look forward to learn something new about you & your surroundings in your posts! New plural word dilemmata stuck in my head now. The mystery photo gallery a hit with flowers & Maddie in it (dog lover me). Okay, cats are awesome too. Answers: 1. Lived in a small town in mid-western rural Maine. Go back east for nostalgia trips. 2. Neither. Sparkling water only. 3. Hope to learn how to be an exceptional great-grandmother X2 this summer. 4. No way. No amount of money. Panic attacks in Algebra class. 5. Natural disaster: 1955 flood in Danbury, CT. Volunteer work as a Ranger Girl Scout. Have a splendid Sunday! Pats for Maddie! 🎶 Christine

Thanks Christine. Going back for visits is how I keep Pittsburgh in my heart. I’m only drinking seltzer now. Congrats on Great grandmother x2 – that’s cool. The 1955 flood is something I’ve read about. My wife was in CT but I wasn’t. But we had flooding when I was growing up, do I know that fear/devastation.

15. LindaGHill says:

Congrats on the award, Dan! When I read “dilemmata,” I keep adding syllables to it whilst singing to the tune of “Hakuna Matata.” Yeah, I’m weird.

16. Congrats, Dan. I’m going to look forward to the photo explanations. They were nice to look at.

17. Loved the Dogwoods, and kitties, and I sure hope Maddie is on the mend and gets better soon!

Q&A
    1. I was born in Camp LeJeune NC. Moved to KY where my mom was born and raised for a bit. then my Father was stationed in Twenty Nine Palms so of course we went. My Mother was thrilled. She always wanted to live in California. I’ve been in California since. Yes, I’d like to go check out NC. The mountains are gorgeous.
    2. Coke
    3. How to use the Night Sky apps I have better, and improve with painting, drawing, and always grow or learn something new with photography.
    4. Do I have to solve it correctly to get the money?
    5. The 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake. That was the biggest Earthquake I’ve ever lived through. It really rocked my psyche in addition to my little part of the planet.

Thanks for sharing Deborah. I’m not surprised at the NC connection. You seem California with a touch of country. Night sky apps seen amazing to me, but I would agree about learning them better. We’ve lived through tiny, insignificant by CA standards, earthquakes. I wouldn’t want to be in a big one. Maddie seems to be on the mend, but slow progress. I’ll explain st some point. If you want the money, you have to stay until you’ve solved it. I’ll serve the Coke.

18. Reblogged this on Crazy Pasta Child and commented:
    Never do “awards”. My blogs speak for me

19. Congrats on the award, Dan. And I’m totally in agreement about having no desire to fall, bungee or parachute. Here are my answers: 1) I would definitely move back to New England…except maybe for all that snow. 2) I don’t do soda, but a lemonade would be fine. 3) Time management of my blog. I’m terrible at it. 4) Not much. I have no shame. 5) Global warming.
    Thanks for letting us all play!

20. I’m not doing awards either but I’m answering these here because Maddie gave me her look. I’m sending her some healing energy and greetings to you:

1) I’m definitely not living where I was born (Slovenia —> Tuscany, Italy). If I return one day, it would mean something specific. I prefer to return on visits twice a year.

2) Coke or Pepsi? Mostly neither but when I do, I don’t care which and wouldn’t know a difference even if I was waterboarded with it. Also, Slovenians have Cockta and Italians have Chinotto. Not the same but similar, and better.

3) One thing I hope to learn in 2017… Together with the whole world, that the expiry date is not yet upon us.

4) School was enough of a live audience for me. Sometimes I did well, with fractions, might say yes.

5) Natural disasters. Not me personally, but Slovenia had an ugly case of sleet that destroyed many trees and cause some deaths a few years ago, a region in middle Italy has been having continuous earthquakes some two hours away that luckily are not felt here, and just after I arrived to Italy four years ago some women died in a near-by flood.

I enjoy your visits back to Slovenia, and the resulting images you share with us. I agree that I hope the expiration date isn’t close at hand. Maddie seems to be feeling a little better. Not quite her old self, but closer than she was a week ago. Thanks for the healing energy. Not being in a disaster, is a good thing. I hope you have the same answer…always.

Thanks for the shout-out, Dan! I’d guess the gallery consists of pictures of non-human things/entities that you love. :) You did a stellar job on the post. As always. :)

Okay, four days later your friend replies to your post! It may be better that I tell you something nice. I’m so glad writing relaxes you, Dan. It is something we are happy to read and enjoy your thoughtful pont of views.
    The pictures represent your favorite non-family “things” (animals, included). Your family is your very favorite part of life.I cannot help guessing the link between dogwood blooms, lily of the valley, moon, trains, cats and poor sick Maddie.
    1. I have been in Ohio, except for brief periods in Tennessee as a baby and Rockport, Massachusetts for a summer.
    2. If I have a pop or soda, it is a treat. cherry Pepsi, cherry Coke or add a shot of vanilla in a cola. I drink at least 3 cups of coffee a day, cream and sugar.
    3. Hanging with grandies, enjoying a book or movie, playing cards like euchre or rummy, dancing and writing in my blog and journal.
    4. I can do algebra fairly well. Interesting that it took a college professor to believe in my math skills.
    5. Storms on Lake Erie or snow in the Blizzard of ’78. Mainly not too traumatic. Fun and exciting award post. I used to do a lot of these but usually broke the rules, too. ;)

Thanks Robin! I should have listed Cherry Coke – I don’t drink much soda, but I do like that. It’s good to know that we can put you in front of the room with those word problems. I think you probably understand about writing and relaxing. Here’s hoping you’ve already seen the worst weather you will see.

• reocochran says:

Those new fangled soda machines have a wide variety of choices. Recently I “poured” a raspberry vanilla cream soda since I didn’t need caffeine. :)
        It was a beautiful day once the rain stopped and the sun broke through, Dan. Thanks!