All Things

Foggy start

Nothing would please me more than to tell Linda that “I got nothing” for this prompt. Unfortunately, May has been an all-out crazy month. I was going to explain some of this in a quick update on Monday, but since Linda offered this prompt, and the prospect of bonus points, I figured now was as good a time as any:

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “all or nothing.” Use one, use both, use them any way you’d like. Bonus points if you start and end your post with one (or each) of them. Enjoy!

Some of you know some of the things in this update. Some of you have guessed about some things, and several of you have asked questions. There’s no escaping the community that is WordPress, and that’s a good thing.

I’ll start with some bad news. My mom passed away a couple of weeks ago. Although her passing wasn’t entirely unexpected, the timing was a bit of a surprise. I’m not going to go into the details, other than to say she lived a long (92 years) and good life, and she passed away while in the care of loving family members. Her funeral was this past weekend in Pittsburgh.

For those of you in the Maddie Fan Club – a group that might be larger than those who appreciate my wit and skill as a writer – Maddie is doing better. We aren’t quite sure what happened to Maddie, she either fell or pulled a muscle while jumping out of the chair she shouldn’t have been using to look out of a window when I came home. The incident caused what can only be described as a panic attack, resulting in noises we hope never to hear again. She doesn’t seem to be in any pain, but she’s still moving slower and more conservatively, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

In addition to these things, I’ve been dealing with sudden hearing loss in my right ear since late April. I haven’t heard (get it?) the end of that story, but I’ll give you an update on my condition and the condition of healthcare in America when I do. Actually, I’m sure most of you are aware of the condition of healthcare in America, and none of us know when we’ll hear the end of that story.

In case you haven’t noticed, blog posts have been shorter in recent weeks. I’ve also been late responding to comments and I’ve skipped a bunch of posts in my inbox. I am starting to catch up. I have a slew of posts in my drafts folder, a pile of pictures in Lightroom and I’ve copied a couple of your URLs that might just inspire a post from me.

There are some interesting things I’d like to share about my mom, but this isn’t the time and I might come to realize that they are only interesting to me. Maddie will be back dragging me around the park in a week or so. Activity at No Facilities will get back to normal, which means posts will return to their usual length – sorry. Also, we haven’t been to the bar recently, but we will be heading back soon.

That is all.

This entry was posted in Family, SoCS and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

90 Responses to All Things

1. Well, I hated to hit ‘like’ on this post, but I always do like hearing from you and yours. I am very sorry to hear about your Mom’s passing, but it sounded like she had a good quality of life which at 92 is a critical piece. We will be going to the Midwest in June for a celebration of life for my 92 year old sister-in-law next month who lived for any years in a nursing home with not such a good quality of life. I read once where when you lose your parents, you lose your past. I always thought that about summed it up. Glad to hear Maddie is doing better and hope she continues to improve. Hearing loss? My husband has been dealing with that for quite a few years so I understand a few of those issues. First thing this morning, I’m off to visit the medical professional about eyesight issues. One thing about those golden years – there is always something that is failing or sagging. And, I won’t even comment on the health care system because it would take us off on a rocket ship ride. Take care, Dan. Hope you, Maggie, and the Editor have a nice weekend that hopefully includes a nice cold one.

Thanks Judy. My mom was fortunate to be in her own apartment up until she died. She was an independent soul, and she enjoyed being on her own. She had cancer, but she died as the result of a bad fall. Otherwise, she was in good health until the end. Going back to Pittsburgh for her funeral allowed me to reconnect with my past a bit. We attended services at her church, which she was connected with for over 80 years. I attended Sunday School in that little church, so it was like stepping back in time.

Maddie is getting a little better each day, it seems. My hearing seems to be changing. I’m not sure if it’s improving, but I have another hearing test in two weeks. I haven’t had much experience with healthcare until this episode. I’m learning what it means to be your own advocate.

2. So sorry for your loss. Hugs and healing thoughts continue. Good that Maddie is not in pain and good wishes for your hearing.

It seems to me – you have ALL the good ideas and I sit here with NOTHING!

4. did you get your bonus points?

5. Dan, May has really been a stinker for you… My sincere condolences about your mom. I’m sure it meant a lot to her to be able to live her last days in her own home.
    Poor Maddie — that must have freaked out the household. Doggies do panic, poor things. Something similar once happened to Crystal, sitting on the sofa-back, looking out the window. I have never known what she did, but her knee was suddenly badly injured. I suppose that just as can happen with us, they stepped “just wrong” (as I prefer to call it). I’ve hurt my ankle that way…
    Here’s wishing that June is a kinder month. Mega hugs.

Thanks Teagan. Yeah, I’m looking forward to June. Maddie is in and out of that chair many times a day. we aren’t sure what she did. We touched and squeezed all over, but couldn’t find anything obviously wrong, but the panic part was awful. She was just inconsolable for about 2 minutes. We felt so bad. I don’t think she’s ready to go for a walk yet, but next weekend should be better. She’s doing much better in our yard.

6. House of Heart says:

My deepest condolences on the loss of your mother. I hope you are comforted by the memories.

Dan, I hope you have an extremely relaxing Memorial Day weekend and a sunny, stress-free June. Give Maddie a few belly rubs for me and, once again, I offer my heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your mom. She did live a good life, one strong in faith and family. :-)

8. It certainly has been a rough month so far, Dan. I pray that the rest of the month is much kinder to you and yours. My condolences on the loss of your mom. It’s sounds as if she had a wonderful quality of life right up until the end, which is a true blessing. My parents are both in their late 80’s and still doing quite well. But as my dad says, “Getting old isn’t for sissies.”

All the best also with your hearing and foray into the healthcare system. We’ve had pretty good experiences with said system, so hopefully you will as well. Glad to read that Maddie is doing better, too. As for the blogs, I can’t always keep up, either, especially when life interferes. Wishing for you the serenity I blogged about this morning!

9. Val Boyko says:

Its been a month of challenges for you Dan. My thoughts are with you.
    p.s. As a Maggie fan, I have to add – please keep an eye on her, if she tore a cruciate ligament it may not heal by itself, especially if she keeps moving. We have had 2 dogs with that, as well as a dislocated hip from a fall. They all needed vet attention and rest. 💛

An, I’m so sorry. I didn’t realize Maddie had hurt herself. Sending hugs to big Red. This hwas been a rough month for you and I am so sorry. Healthcare is the bane of my existence in more than one way. I know you are doing your own research about your ear condition as well as the “prefessuonal” opinion. Again, sending the best thoughts for healing. My apologies for not being very active on media.

No apology necessary, you’ve been here. Maddie is retuning to normal, albeit slowly. She seems to be there physically. Mentally is always a different thing for Maddie. Thanks so much for your support.

• Because Dweezer brought up other forms of healing, I want to offer a really wu-wu thing to think about. My back goes out in a certain way whenever i don’t feel supported. Now that may mean I am not supporting myself, or that something external is not supporting, but when I get to it the dang thing starts to shift. I kid you not. I have both feet in different forms of healing, including of course the AMA, but I offer it. Is there anything you don’t want to hear? You never know. If we were having a beer I’d share with you some stories about this that came from the head of the cardiac department of John Hopkins — a teacher friend.

Thanks Kate. One of the unwanted side effects of this hearing “loss” is I am hearing things my brain normally ignores as background noise. I’ll get through this. I hope you do too!

• dweezer19 says:

Always. And as always my apologies for the horrendous typos. 😞

11. So sorry about your mom, but a good, long life is what we all want for ourselves. Best wishes for your hearing and Maggie returning to normal soon.

12. Liu Min says:

Hi Dan it looks like it’s been a foggy month there. My condolences to you and your family about your loss. I also hope that you find comfort in memories as well as our thoughts with you. As a comparatively new member of your fan club, I hope all health problems leave you and Maddie alone. Best wishes go to you and your family. By the way, as much as I like the pictures you take, I enjoy your writing very much too. Waiting for your next post to come out! :)

13. quiall says:

Whew. It has been a difficult month for you and it isn’t over yet! I’m sending you a hug, metaphorically speaking of course!

Sorry about your mom. Despite our parents living an old age and years spent in anticipation of “the call”, it is still harder than we think it will be. Life is always that way.

15. I’m very sorry for your loss, Dan. As you say a full life and yes, we would love to read your memories of your mom. I hope Maddie is getting better. Lucy did the same and we put her on Dasuquin (a chewable supplement for joints) and off jumping. Has made a big difference. I will pray your hearing gets better as well. Best to you.

Dan, I am so sorry for the totally crappy month you have had. I have heard all bad things happen in three’s, so you are way overdue for something good. Hugs to you.

Dan, I’m so sorry for your loss. There are no words.

Poor Maggie and family! I’m glad you were there when she had her panic attack, so you could try to console her. The poor li’l critters don’t understand when something hurts that shouldn’t hurt. Of course, sometimes we don’t, either!

Wishing you all healing and health. HUGS all around with extra pats to Maddie.

Thanks Marian. This comment got trapped in spam – not sure what WP has against us – I think we’re over the hard part with Maddie, but she’s slow to return to normal. I for one do NOT understand this ear-thing, but I’m optimistic. Thanks for the hugs.

18. Oh, Dan..my condolences to you and your family. You know, it doesn’t matter if we’ve planned this day for years, when our loved ones pass it hurts. I am thankful you have such a lovely family surrounding you during this time. I’m currently awaiting news on my 91 year old grandfather. Dad says his decline has come on quickly. Thankful for the time my family had with him recently at my nephew’s high school graduation. I will keep you in my prayers.

Cue the terribly placed poke at your hearing…
    Huh?
    (This is yuck news, too)
    Thanks for the update, my friend. Your photos of reflection, which is what I sensed, were enjoyed. :)

19. orbthefirst says:

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully things start looking up for you.

20. John Hric says:

Dan, If we were having a beer I would take a moment and offer my condolences on the passing of your mother. We raise a glass in her memory and a life well lived. I would go with the flow of the conversation whether it was Maddie’s recovery, your hearing, or how easy it is for things to get un-caught up. As to the hearing – while no doubt troubling – it does offer some advantages. Selectively like ‘sorry i missed that. I must have been listening with my other ear.’ And then depending on the other conversationalist and the subject move towards or away from the current topic. Eventually somehow intricate leather work would come into discussion. And the importance of AWL things considered. Be well sir !

21. Sorry to hear about your mother. It is still a big loss in our lives even if they lived a long time. And you did not need all the rest on top of it. Hope you have been referred to specialists like ENT for example or Neurologist. Hope you get it resolved soon.

Hard month for you it has surely been. It will all pass. Take care, man.

23. C.E.Robinson says:

Dan, I’m sorry to read the sad news of your mother passing. A dreaded fall can abruptly change the picture of good health. And poor Maddie’s muscle problem. Hopefully it will heal overtime. I know hearing loss can be hard to deal with. Good you are getting tested to know the cause. Take some time for yourself to get back in balance. Fresh air & photo shoots might help. Always enjoy your photos. The foggy start reminds me of your Tobacco farm photo. Something fascinating about mysterious fog! Have a peaceful weekend. Pats for Maddie (yep, I’m a fan). 🌸🌷💐🌺 Christine

Thanks Christine. I may have gotten after the hearing early enough to nudge it along toward healing. Maddie is getting better and we’re coping well with mom’s passing. Life, sometimes it come on fast.

24. Oh, Dan – I’ve been somewhat out of touch with my WP friends recently. So sorry to hear about your Mom. Mine was over 90 when she passed, but knowing she was that old didn’t make it any easier. Hugs to Maddie – sometimes it’s harder to deal with your pet’s problems than your own. Pets can’t understand why they’re hurting. As for your own hearing problems – maybe it’s something in the atmosphere. I’ve been having trouble hearing out of one year for the past for months, too, and I just figure it’s allergies. Annoying, though, isn’t it? Hope things improve for you. I agree with Christine – fresh air & photo shoots, and some time for yourself if you can.

Thanks CM. I was hoping for allergies, but looks like nerve damage. Still, it might repair itself. We are doing all we can to comfort Maddie. The physical issue seems to be better but the mental part will last a bit longer, cuz Maddie.

25. I hadn’t heard about Maddie either. Hoping she finds her way out of this pain. Huggs to you in this time…

Oh Dan – I know that intellectually we expect the passing of an elderly loved one, but emotionally it’s still a blow when you lose your mom. My deepest condolences.
    Doesn’t it seem that bad news always travels with company. I’m sorry to read that your hearing hasn’t improved and poor Maddie :(
    I hope that you are finally getting a chance to relax and recharge and that things look MUCH better going forward!

27. So sorry to hear about… all of this! My condolences on the loss of your mother.
    Here’s to an upswing in fortunes!

28. John Holton says:

Sorry about your mother. I’ll bet she died too young at 92. On the bright side, glad Maddie is doing better.

Hope the ear is nothing more serious than impacted wax. I caught a terrible infection once that rendered me unable to hear for a week. I had to put antibiotics in my ears and everything.

Thanks John. She enjoyed life. She could have kept going for a good long time. The ear seems to be nerve damage, but might improve over time. I’ve been on prednisone for a while.

That’s three bad stuffs at the same time, so I’m pretty sure you’re at the limit.
    Very sorry to read about the loss of your mother. You must write her in when you’re ready.
    Sorry to read about your hearing loss, too. Hopefully you’ll get that sorted soon. I imagine that’s kinda frightening.
    Ow for Maddie. Poor thing! It’s one of those times you wish your dog could speak English so humans could help. Sadie came with a bum paw, we’ll never know why. She seems to live well despite it. I hope Maddie mends quickly and until then, maybe y’all could sit outside together.
    Wishing you some peace of mind, Dan. And at least nine good stuffs. :)

Thanks Joey. We’re working through mom, pretty well. The hearing loss is all kinds of annoying and frustrating and scary. Maddie is, as you say, hard to understand but she’s easy to comfort. We sit and she’s fine. I’m looking forward to some good stuffs.

30. Ruth says:

Sorry May has been such a crappy month for you, Dan :-(

31. Sorry to hear about the difficult month Dan.

32. Jami Carder says:

I’m so sorry to read the news of your mom. Whether it’s 92 or 52, it’s never long enough.

Condolences about your mom. Somehow I missed that. When I first started reading about Maddie, I have visions of her being laid up or worse. Glad she is all right. In some ways, I think healthcare in the US has become a lot like oil, having all of us over a barrel.

34. Jennie says:

Sorry to hear about your Mom and Maddie, Dan. I am currently a salmon swimming upstream; happens every May with school work. Apologies if it takes me a while to catch up. I know how it feels!

35. I think May has been crazy for everyone! Sorry about your mother! Sending hugs from Atlanta!

36. Laura says:

Dan, I’m so sorry for your pain. When someone tells me they’ve lost their mother I feel a small piercing in my heart, and it takes me back to those weeks right after mom was gone when I felt completely untethered. 92 years is indeed a long life (one filled with a great many changes in the world, too), but it doesn’t make it any easier for the ones who have to say goodbye.
    I hope you get good news about your hearing issue, and I’ll be keeping you and your family in my prayers.

Thank you so much Laura. She did see an amazing amount of change in her lifetime. She tending fairly healthy, she was a live wire, too. I’m hoping for good news on the hearing at the end of the month. I appreciate your prayers.

37. misifusa says:

Dan, I hated to hit LIKE on this post because I am so sorry to hear about your mom’s passing. Even at 92, it’s still hard to lose your Mom. I’m sorry about pup, but hope Maddie is doing better soon. Your right ear huh? Hope that gets straightened out. I have been so out of the loop lately Sending healing hugs