Let’s Enjoy Summer

It’s ready to ride

Last Wednesday, at 12:24 AM, the Summer Solstice occurred. That’s it folks, it’s a downhill slide to winter from this point on. If you are reading this post when it is published, you can expect one less minute of daylight than you had last Wednesday. If you wait until Friday to read this, you’ll have given up three minutes. By the time the Autumnal Equinox arrives at 4:02 PM on Friday, September 22, we will be losing about three minutes of daylight – every – single – day.

I don’t want to be a gloomy Gus, that Equinox is almost 90 days away, and that only brings us to the halfway point. It’s not quite time to dust off the snow shovel. I’m focused on this because our winter was mild but unpredictable, and our spring was a cold wet mess. Summer, all 90 days of it, better be better than its two sibling seasons.

90 days is plenty of time for long weekends and weeks off. Plenty of time for walks with Maddie, rides on my bike and, if things work out, new siding on my garage. There’s a Fireman’s Carnival being set-up as I write this, and I’ll have plenty of daylight to eat a sausage grinder and drink a beer before it’s torn down. There will be a dozen or so Saturdays when I can watch a little baseball with my buddy at the bar – you know, research. There’s probably over 40 hours sitting in the back yard, tethered to a 100% content Irish Setter.

In addition to the bunnies, Maddie and I will be watching a garden grow. Then, the Mrs. will be picking some veggies and preparing treats like fresh vegetables and pasta or just a sliced tomato on a buttered English muffin for breakfast. Yes, Maddie, I know, you like green beans. I’m sure you’ll get your share. There’ll be a few thunderstorms, a few gray days and at least one blistering spell of hot and humid weather – probably the week I start that siding project – if New England’s weather holds true.

There are lots of work days between now and the end of September but, at least until Labor Day, we can wear jeans in the office. Other good news is that the Eaglets that are keeping the lower half of the Windsor Locks Canal closed should fledge and no longer need the seclusion of their own private forest.

It’s a glorious time, and I think Mother Nature is going to cooperate. I’d say she owes us a good summer, but I don’t want to p*ss her off. The gallery includes some photos of the evidence I collected this weekend. Click on any photo to start a slide show. The captions tell the stories.

This entry was posted in Animals, New England Life and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Let’s Enjoy Summer

So much to love about Summer…..strawberries. But you can keep those oysters. Please enjoy. 😊 Awesome veggies!

2. I hear you and your plea for a half-decent summer season, given the past performance of winter and spring.

It feels like I’ve been cheated: I haven’t even worn my flipflops yet and the days are getting shorter! The plus side, though, to living in the northern latitudes is about 30 minutes more daylight on both sides of the sun’s transit. So, there’s plenty of light.

Haha – I love your comment about the flip-flops, Maggie. We all have our important measures and milestones. I agree, though, we were cheated out of spring. February was warmer than April. I remember living in Seattle (quite a bit farther north than Hartford) and those long days of summer. Of course, December days were pretty grim, but…

Oh yes, those are some of my favorite things about summer, and they’re aren’t even many. I love the tomatoes the most. My tomato plants are almost to my knees, which means I go out and lovingly scream to them about how they need to PRODUCE. Heh.
    I was up before the sun today and I had a right mind to go scream at it as well.
    I’m enjoying all the cooler temps. So nice. So very, very nice!

Be nice to those tomatoes, they need to fight all the enemies to get you a plump treat. It will come, soon enough. We won’t see tomatoes in our yard for some time, but we love this little farm stand. The people are great and the veggies are wonderful. I can’t wait for fresh green beans. I’m hoping for a “normal” summer and a good crop.

4. Ah, yes, summer – my favorite season of all. Your photos tell the story. :-)

5. I like your future tense. It’s reassuring. And I love the sight of the fresh produce, and Maddie, of course.

I was sporting a huge smile as I read this. Not the part about the downward slide to winter, but at all the potential for glorious summertime fun. Your photos demonstrate all the simple pleasures to be had. I have a couple of cherry tomato plants that have already given me a handful of bounty. It doesn’t get much better :)

Do you normally grow a lot of squish? Seriously, Dan – Squish!!! I thought squashi or squahae would be more scientifically correct. :) No? :)

8. quiall says:

Aww I was gonna comment on the Squish! hahaha I just like saying it: squish, squish, squish . . .

9. Oh, Dan, not the best start to my lovely, cool, sunny day. I wish I had time to read all your caption stories, but I’m getting ready for a short trip to Wisconsin with a friend. Although I like winter, it would be much better if there were more daylight. I can’t seem to arrange it, though. :-)

Sorry Janet. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Winter will get here soon enough. I have to add that I like the way the days start to get longer and how, by February, we’re adding about 2 minutes of daylight every day. I just wish spring had been paying attention this year.

I’m glad you are getting out on the bike, Dan, and having your fill of seasonal strawberries. Yum! Summer has not been fully present – cool and the rain doesn’t seem to stop for more than a day. But I have hope that the weather will change…probably when I get back to work on the 5th! ;-)

I wanted to make sure the bike was in good working order. I hope the Canal path is open this coming weekend. I think I can get out there one morning. It’s not long, but it feels good to ride in between the two bits of water.

I hope you have good weather for your week off.

Down here in the Gulf, we feel like we get an early start to summer with Hurricane Season starting on June 1. Oh, the fresh produce…!! What I really look forward to are the donut peaches that arrive from PA. Only for 2 weeks though! Do you have those in CT?

I guess the hurricanes are the price you pay for those comfy winters (while I’m shoveling snow). I don’t recall ever seeing donut peaches. In good weather years, we get a lot of locally grown peaches here in CT. Last year, the entire crop was destroyed by a hard frost after the buds had come out. This year, I think they narrowly avoided a repeat.

12. Mike Powell says:

I love your energetic optimism about summer, Dan. Here in Northern Virginia, summer often brings unbearable heat and humidity, but it also brings out my beloved dragonflies. This year for the first time I actually planted some bulbs in the tiny front yard of my townhouse and am thyrilled that some of them survived the efforts of the squirrels to dig them up. They are only caladiums, so, unlike with tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers, my efforts won’t result in anything extra on my plate. The strawberries and whipped cream are making me hungry–I need to grab some breakfast.

My family used to vacation in Virginia and I remember the heat and humidity. I’m glad some of your flowers survived those critters. I brought some strawberries and peaches (cut and in a bowl) to work today. We normally have a container of whipped cream, but not today – so, today, it was just healthy. Still I’m not complaining. Thanks for stopping by.

I got some squish at the farmers market, too! We already had some “vegan fish”, as I call it: slice the squash thinly longwise, coat it with seasoned flour and fry it in butter. Yum! Have a beer and a grinder for me — firemen do the best food and the best carnivals! And I’m very happy with our tomatoes’ progress: Anybody who isn’t ripe by the 4th of July is volunteering to be a fried green tomato!

Mmmm, fried squish… I’ve never heard it called vegan fish, but my wife might like that. Our firemen do a nice job. They added hot sausage about 5 years ago and they’ve been improving on it steadily. Last year, it was a pretty darn good grinder. I’ve got that penciled in for Friday, maybe Thursday and Friday.

Once we know there’s a big enough crop, some of the green tomatoes will be fried.

14. John Hric says:

mashmoshohnym – it is a word describing the mosh pit event when optimism and pessimism are co-joined in a post with a dash of onomatopoeia exclamation thrown into the middle for emphasis. or with emphasis. or both. and it does kind of describe that state of mind following the summer solstice. somewhere there is a philosophical institution with bar stools that will help me navigate this dreaded/ embraced quagmire. Please ask Cheryl to put on some wings – as those Ents are fond of saying ‘anything worth saying might just take a bit’. Oh and put one of those bluetooth tracking things on the Entwives…. One last question – so missing links are never moderated ! ? ! ?

No, missing links are free to stop by for a beer. Cheryl will gladly put that on my tab. I want to embrace the season with all the certainty it deserves, and here in New England, that’ exactly none – zip – nada – zero percent.

15. Sandi Staton says:

Bella likes green peas and carrots . . . and everything in between!

16. Your pictures and description take me back to a different time, growing up in the Midwest…we would embrace that short season with a lot of gusto. Great post!!

17. April Munday says:

The strawberries are almost over here and I’ll be picking the first peas tomorrow – for some pottage. I already have a glut of courgettes and I’ve only been picking them for a few days.

Summer has been mixed so far. It was really hot for a few days last week, then windy and cool for a few days. Now it’s hot again. I’d like some rain for the garden, but I’m not complaining.

18. Oh my squeeee! The little eaglets are so cute! Sorry…lost my mind for a minute there. Another lovely post, Dan. It’s fun to see all the goodies from the garden. So, Maddie and green beans? No wonder she looks so healthy. :) Hugs.

Aren’t they adorable? I guess they’re worth giving up my path for three months. Maddie loves green beans. If we don’t give her one, she’s been known to pull one off the vine.

• It’s been years but… a couple of times I gave them to cats to play with — because they were so interested. They threw the green bean around the house like crazy, but had no interest in eating it. Cats… go figure.

19. Jennie says:

Great post. I’m reading this outdoors, getting every minute of those precious 90 days.

20. You’re off to a wonderful, and tasty summer! Minus the Oysters for me. Those Eaglets are ADORABLE!

Thansk Deborah. I see there are not too many fans of oysters out here. Oh well, I was told that was the last serving they had for the day, so none of you have to worry. The eaglets are adorable. I knew you would like that photo. I hope they’re flying, so I can ride the canal this weekend.

Now, Dan, I must admit this post did start out to be depressing. But you more then made up for it. Oh yes! Summer! My bike is out too and I bought a lounger chair and have been out more then in. The temps have turned cool and SOOOO enjoyable! I’ll take it I’ll take it!! LOVED the gallery! YUM! 💝

22. C.E.Robinson says:

Lovely photos, Dan! A little bit of everything wonderful.Thanks for reminding me about the summer and changing seasons. It’s not like that in Southern California. Looking forward to my east coast trip this year in September, not in the usual summer season. Happy Week! 🎼 Christine

23. Great reminder of the joys of summer. I had to laugh out loud at “squish.”

24. Liu Min says:

Wow! Lovely pictures! What type of camera do you use to take them? That Tomato and peas look too good!

25. Dan Hen says:

Sure is a good time of year ! The photos really emphasize that . Thanks .

The Solstices and the Equinoxes have always interested me. I think of Druids, priests, and magical chants.

27. Your post and photos put me in the mood for strawberry shortcake. Time for a trip to town to get the ingredients!

28. Reblogged this on Ancien Hippie and commented:
    Happy to know my cat will sleep longer in the morning

29. Rishi says:

I am enjoying summer already.

30. Oh no we aren’t already going toward winter :)
    Meanhwile then I’ll eat those strawberries and peas. I hope people click on them to admire the full size and colors. They explode on the screen. Love the small farm stand.
    Enjoy the (still) long days!

Oh, raise a glass to enjoying and savoring summer! Belated best wishes for your solstice, but as mentioned still plenty of time to have Fun!! 🌞🌞
    I’ve been to one of Randy’s large projects, two murals finished and one external one that goes quite Large! I was invited to the opening of Saucy Brew Works, where all beverages and food was free! Beautiful old warehouse setting with all spanking clean machinery. Randy was greeted by investors and the brewmaster like a rock star which made me proud. :)
    Mom and I sit outside and watch birds in the pretty garden under a shaded porch roof in rocking chairs. Hummingbird, red winged blackbird, two mourning doves, loves of finches and wrens. Summer would be grand if this were all I had to do! (😁) We all need to keep working but closer to the other side of paradise. 🎉🎆🏖

I loved the juicy fruits, the farm stand building, Fire station building and the idea of fair food and families together. Maddy is always such a dear sight, being “good” while eyeing bunnies! Enjoy and savor your summer, Dan, the Editor, Faith and pets. xo