Thursday Doors – End-of-Month Stew

Enter the booth Dan

It’s the end of June, halfway point in another year of doors and the end of a very busy month. I have been on a couple of doorcursions in June, but I haven’t had the time to do the research I want to do. So, just like those college days when the end of the month required a bit of creativity in getting dinner together, today I bring you a stew of leftover doors. A stew, because I have doors from here and there to add to the gallery.

Here would be St. Augustine, Florida. I managed to snag a few photos, but my hopes of touring some of the historic sites in America’s oldest city were dashed by a lack of time and an abundance of heat and humidity. I don’t know how people live in Florida. There would be Arlington Cemetery. I have a bunch of doors from my walking tour of the cemetery, but it seemed more appropriate to feature that place of honor in my Memorial Day post. But still, doors…

Doors, you ask? Well, it’s Thursday and we’re cooking up this stew to serve alongside the potluck and gourmet entrees at Chef Norm Frampton’s Thursday Doors Restaurant d’ Elegance. If you care to contribute, dine or merely peruse the menu, leave your vehicle with the valet at Norm’s place. After entering, take a look at Norm’s doors then tip click the Maître D’ (the blue frog) and prepare to be impressed.

Today’s featured door, the one up there on the right, is the door to the hearing test chamber at my Doctor’s office. Fortunately, there’s a window in that little room. Otherwise, sitting in there would be a little uncomfortable. There are a couple other random doors in the gallery. Click on any one, if you’d like more explanation.

This entry was posted in Photography, Thursday Doors, Travel and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to Thursday Doors – End-of-Month Stew

1. Oh, yeah, Dan, you make good door soup. I like three most of all: #2, #6 and #10. Decorative gets to me!

Haha! I would have loved to see that two step you had to do with the woman leaving the restroom. Lol The second door remonds me of a Catholic confessional. Yes, Florida is hot. Which is why one is wise to live on, or near, a body of water. I always forget to tak door shots. I do have a post but not sure when I will get it posted today. Hapy Thursday. Oh, and I was humbled visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. Almost as much as the Galveston Cemetary where all those graves of the unknown who died from the 1900 storm are buried.

Thanks. Yeah, that was an awkward moment at the River Grille :)

I remember reading Issac’s Storm, about Galveston. It’s a fascinating book, if you haven’t read it, you might enjoy it. I guess living by the water is better, but I don’t think I could take it for very long. I think about you doing the stairs at the lighthouse, and I start to sweat.

• Almost Iowa says:

Yeah…………I’d be careful about flashing my camera around restrooms. Still, a great array of door photos. It is almost impossible to tire of them.

• dweezer19 says:

Ha! I thought it looked familiar. Yes, I read Ossac’s storm years ago when we lived in Galveston for a time. Hubby is from there. BOI. I visited the Rosenberg library many times with the boys for books. It is a fascinating place. Galveston was on its way to being the Amercian shipoing hub of the country before that storm. So sad…..

That was a mighty tasty stew, Dan. The Ladies’ Room door is my favorite — both of them. I’ve had to do a certain amount of ‘splainin’ while taking door shots inside fancy restrooms.

4. Brett says:

That’s quite a collection! :)

Delicious stew, Dan! Those gates at Arlington — Wowee! And I must say, I hope the blurred figure understood that not all restroom doors are so well-textured and interesting :)
    Why do I never stay in hotels with doors as decor? What am I even doing with my life?!?

Ha ha – yes, you need to consider the door value of every decision.

The woman exiting the ladies room (blurry to begin with, but extra blur applied in Lightroom) was very kind. I explained (doors, Norm, the whole thing) and she agreed that it is an interesting door.I think she wondered why I wasn’t photographing the men’s room, but…

I’m glad Norm accepts gates in the mix. Those were stunning.

A very tasty door stew, Dan. The seasonings were perfect :)
    I hope the woman exiting the washroom wasn’t nearly as confrontational as the guy I encountered one day a couple of years ago. He happened to exit his car just as I was snapping a street photo. He chewed me out royally for taking a photo of him without permission. The worst part was that he wasn’t even in the frame of the photo I took, nor was he particularly interested in hearing an explanation :(

I love the doors as artwork. Ha! I so had to laugh at the lady coming out of the restroom. You are one smooth talker, Dan.

That was a nice potluck stew, Dan. I especially enjoyed seeing the doors from Arlington cemetary as I remember seeing most of them. I hope your July is a little less busy so you can complete your research and relax a little bit.

9. Super post, Dan. Thanks for the views of Arlington. My grandfather is buried there and it is always nice to visit.

10. I thought it was too hot for stew, Dan, but this one was just right. The door to the hearing test (is it just me, or is it on the left, rather than the right?) looked like a cabinet door to me, so it took a bit of mental adjustment to see it for what it really was. Anyway, I enjoyed them and now I don’t need lunch.

11. Woman or not that door was worth getting a shot of, Dan. It’s beautiful!

12. Val Boyko says:

This more than a stew. It’s a paella Dan!
    I was smiling thinking of you explaining to the woman coming out of the rest room!

13. A feast for the eyes! I love that the hotel used doors for art! That door with the woman coming out was worth the wee bit of bother and hopefully she finds Thursday Doors and see the post and door. :)

My favorite today was that Atrium like door with glass window wall.

Thanks Deborah. My daughter manages an event at the CT Conference Center. I love that view from the top of the steps. The woman was very nice to me. I tried to explain Thursday Doors…I think I probably looked as embarrassed as I was.

14. Delicious door stew, Dan. I’m sure the woman coming out of that really neat restroom door believed your Thursday Door story. She probably ran out of there as fast as she could. LOL.

15. Nice stew of doors, but you got me with Arlington. That is truly a special place. :-)

16. Wonderful photographs, there is something very compelling about beautiful doors. I hope you enjoyed St. Augustine, I go there often, it is so beautiful and not far from me.

17. jesh stg says:

The longer I participate in Thurs. doors, the more I notice that how the door is framed really can upscale or down scale a door. The fire truck is a nice addition and I love the design of the brown door on the right with the glass.The iron gates giving entrance to that garden are stunning! To speak in your terms, I’m not only having stew at the end of the month, but weekly (I like it so much:) ). Great post, even without the history of these sites!

You’re so right about the entrance the door is set in making a huge difference. Even the relatively blah commercial door to the conference center looks great in that great wall of windows. It always fascinates me to see where the designers chose to put the details. Those gates are amazing. Thanks you so much.

I cannot say why but the door to the woman’s restroom is the one that jumped out at me. I really love that door. Now I’m not saying your other doors are just OK but that’s just not true. All these doors got a wow out of me, Dan. I mean that! What a collection from soup to nuts. Thank you! 👏🏼

19. Thank you for the super views- I love this concept!

A lovely month-end stew Dan. Glad to see the lady was cool with that washroom door shot. I’d like to think as long as you’re on the correct side of the door most folks will understand ;-)

21. Aunt Beulah says:

My favorite is the restroom door, not because you got caught doing your thing and had to explain, but because of the colors, the textures, the different lines, and its old-time look. I’d like to have it in my house.

22. You were lucky she believed you about Thursday Doors, Dan. It’s always risky taking restroom doors, isn’t it. I really like those decorative doors used as artwork, what a clever idea.

Your stew was full of great “meat” to sink my teeth (meaning eyes) into, Dan!
    Loved the different doors of the hotel which decorated with them, I liked the ladies room with the combination of unique woods painted or lightly stained blue.
    I was amazed at the amphitheatre behind the tomb of the unknown soldier. The next photos after that each fascinated me. I have been there years ago but apparently didn’t study details until grown more mature. Haha ;)
    Thanks for the “upper crust” stew, Dan. This was not the “main fare” that sometimes I resort to!