Thursday Doors – Railroad Doors

Main doors to the station.

If I know my regular readers, they’ve been expecting this post. Initially, I thought I’d hang on to it until winter and surprise you with a blast from the past set of bright sunny summer doors. I can’t. I just can’t. I see these photos in my folders and I just want to share them.

I am pretty sure that I’m not the only blogger who struggles with wanting to write a blog post about an event or a place, but also wanting to show off the door photos that were collected. It’s made even harder now that our loved ones, our friends and even some of our coworkers are looking out for doors for us. Each significant visit generates two posts. The good news is that, since the story about New England Railway Museum was recently told, I can let you off the hook with way less than 800 words today.

Thursday Doors is the fun weekly blogfest of the Frampton Montreal Railroad (FMRR). Participation is not limited to railroad doors, or even North American doors. FMRR and its benevolent host, Norm Frampton welcome doors of all types, shapes and sizes from all points on the planet. Run your locomotive to FMRR’s main yard. Step onto the platform and look for the blue frog. Before you click that tadpole, step into the station and give a look at Norm’s doors. You won’t be sorry.

I’ve done my best to explain the museum building and rolling stock in the photos. If you’re interested, click on any photo in the gallery to start a slideshow and see the full caption. If you’re in a hurry, the collage should give you a good idea of why I had a wonderful day on Father’s Day. I know there are a lot of photos today, but I eliminated a lot of the ones I had. Thanks for reading.

This entry was posted in History, New England Life, Thursday Doors and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

89 Responses to Thursday Doors – Railroad Doors

Awesome doors. The older ones are my favorites. And that snow plow! That I would love to see in action! Happy Thursday.

2. Mike Powell says:

Wow. These shots are so cool. There is something about trains that brings out the little boy so many of us.You have chosen so many interesting angles and varied distances that the collection holds our interest from start to finish. Have you considered a soundtrack for your Thursday postings? I would suggest, “Light My Fire,” sung appropriately by the Doors.

I’ll let the link speak for itself ;)

Is it just me, or is the word ‘caboose’ as cute as the little car that used to bring up the rear?
    Faith certainly hit a home run with this Father’s Day surprise!

4. What a great place to visit and explore! Thanks for taking me with you. Ever since I was a child (and trains were much more prevalent), I’ve always liked cabooses because of their cupolas. I also love that old stove and the station doors. Great restoration job! Happy Thursday, Dan.

I may be a sucker for trains, Dan, but my favorite is the little door to the caboose stove!!

6. Lovely selection of photos, Dan. The stove is fab, it must have been so cosy with that lit. We’re looking out for an old cast iron stove for our house at the moment. The detail on some of them is amazing.

Even I, who have little interest in trains and NO interest in ever riding one in America again, love these photos. The close-up of the wooden boxcar made me think of my grandfather, who rode the rails during the Depression and had a couple of stories about it. I think my favorite door in this bunch is the solo at the beginning of the post. That’s just all kindsa beautiful.

I really like the station doors, but I like the wooden boxcar. I think of people like your grandfather and it just makes me smile. I have mucho (or is that mooocho) interest in riding trains in this country.

What an awesome way to spend your Father’s Day.
    I’m not as big a fan of trains as you, but I do appreciate their historical and technological value, and that old-time stove is pretty cool too. Always nice when older stuff gets a new lease on life.
    Fun post Dan :-D

These are wonderful, Dan. The snow plow is massive! And those tiny access doors….too cute.

10. Ruth says:

Great train pics, and great door pics – a double whammy, what’s not to like! :-)

That visit was beyond awesome for the train-loving father. The snow plow is so cool and I also wish I could see it in action, especially trying to get through more than 6″ of snow. It must be a crazy, wondrous site!

So, Dan, you’ve done Thursday door posts about crane doors and railroad doors. What’s next?

It seems your trip was a pictorial trove of locomotive treasures! Well done! :) All of them are great, but it’s the old ones, the ones you say caught your attention or need TLC that have my highest regard. Love the colors and textures from the metals rusted-out like that.
    I photographed some train stuff with you in mind last week. Sadly, I questioned whether to get the cast iron stove thingy and didn’t, but I think you’ll still like the ones I did get.

13. What a great Father’s Day this must have been! I love that Caboose stove, and the word Caboose. It’s silly and just makes me smile.
    That bathroom looked fancy on the outside, and The Boston and Maine Engine was really nice, but I like old train engines, and black and white combos on just about anything I’m a fan of. :)

14. Trains AND doors? Dan, you must have been downright giddy! :D I enjoyed having a look inside the caboose. I’m with Joanne about “caboose” — it’s just fun to say. Just like chimichanga, or baba ganoush, or Apalachicola! Thanks for the smiles. Have a thriving Thursday.

15. ianbcross says:

Choo choo charming,Dan.

16. Great Tour, Dan. Did they burn coal in the caboose stove? I’m guessing so.

17. jesh stg says:

Great subject Dan! Love trains, because there was a time I went daily by train to school and after that weekly to a college for art teachers (all education here in Holland is separated for art, from languages, science, etc.). So, for me it’s as familiar as my favorite coffee place.
    Fortunately I don’t have to struggle with my inner circle wanting to see my posts, because no one is interested in blogging – to them it’s an old-fashioned thing, before FB, instagram and other social media.Thanks for your your comment on my blog about the sand -more noticed that one:)

Facebook and the other platforms all have a place but I like WordPress. I like where the writer has control over what to share and whim to share it with. I only took a train daily for a little while. I loved it, but it just didn’t work.

• jesh stg says:

Commuting by train takes a lot of energy – I was a teen then:)
        I came from Blogspot to WordPress a few years ago, because I did not agree with the privacy (even in the name of “business’) that I saw slowly disappearing,

18. Mary C says:

A nice set of doors – I liked the slideshow. So many doors, so little time!

19. JT Twissel says:

The passenger car may need some TLC but it sure makes an artistic shot, doesn’t it? Let’s hope Amtrak gets the funding it needs to keep going. (sorry for the political statement.)

One advantage to being an old guy is being able to say, “I once waited in that railroad station and rode the train to….”

21. claanmum says:

Wow. Awesome! No words!!

22. We were talking about a train trip this week so these doors are pretty timely. Hate to admit it, but I love the restroom door. :-)

23. C.E.Robinson says:

Love these old railroad cars and doors, and your unique shots inside and around them So happy you share your adventures and photos with us. 🌺🌷🌸 Christine

24. Dymoon says:

Trains and rust… be still my heart… very nice =^_^=

25. The Union Caboose is particularly adorable, Dan.

26. Jennie says:

Love those doors. Love trains!

I like what a big kid you are, Dan! Climbing into those tight spaces above and how the grin probably stayed on your face way past time to be driving home. :) Faith is such a wonderful daughter!
    Those tiny, rusty doors in the “plow car” are really cool!

28. simonfalk28 says:

Ah, the welcome sight of trains. All we need is the sound. Wait! Joanne Sisco appears to have attended to that need. Having both grandfathers, both parents, two uncles and a brother working around trains I’m very much at home with them. As I am with your post. A door to delight.

29. LindaGHill says:

Great photos, Dan! I do love railway stations. :D

30. Sandi Staton says:

I love old trains. Thanks for sharing!

Frampton? You mean like Peter Frampton? “Do you … DO! … feel like I do?” That’ll be running through my head the rest of the day now. Which is a good thing, I might add. Good pics, Dan!

32. Laura says:

Love these photos!

33. Lovely pictures. The stations there are so different from what we have here. I love these old style stations.