I Guess My Technology Was Homesick

Another clue about this weekend’s activity

If I’ve been slow to press the ‘Like’ button on your blog or if you’re saying “hmmm, I didn’t see a comment from Dan, he usually leaves a comment…” – well, I’m here to tell you it’s not my fault. My editor would say that it is my fault, because I’m a technology worker, the kind of guy who automates stuff that worked fine manually, the guy who replaces perfectly fine analog devices with digital crap that is bound to fail.

Yep, that’s me. And yes, I’ve written programs, and developed systems that have worked well, saved money, made people redundant (I like the British way of saying laid-off) and, of course failed when most needed. But it still stinks when it happens to me. It’s not some “just desserts” either. I should be treated better by technology than people who hate technology! I’m an advocate, a supporter, I’m part of the deal. It’s like the people who contribute to politicians, I mean they always get better treatment…don’t they? I wouldn’t know. I have never given money to a politician/political party.

Anyway, back to my problem. In a word, WordPress. However, in fairness, maybe Apple was involved. It’s like WordPress was robbing a bank and Apple was driving the get-away car, and the get-away car was a Prius.

I was on the road the last few days (more about that later), but being on the road isn’t supposed to be a problem. In the industry that has fed my family for 40 years (I toss that in to remind the editor that technology isn’t all bad) we talk about doing “what you want to do – when you want to do it – wherever you are, and on the device you happen to have with you.” Seriously, we say stuff like that, ‘cuz nerds.

My technology, specifically the device I happened to have with me, wouldn’t let me do the things I wanted to do from where I was.

I didn’t have a lot of sit-in-front-of-the-laptop time, but I had a lot of sit-while-Faith-drives time and I had a lot of stand-in-line time and a little I-could-read-a-few-blogs-before-falling-asleep time – although far less of that than I imagined. I was counting on my phone. I read blogs on my iPhone all the time, and liking and commenting is easy as pie, except for the typos and suggested corrections – but not this weekend.

This weekend – it – was – awful!

The gallery sequence below illustrates the problem I was having. This was happening with every blog, this is just an example. I was trying to ‘Like’ and leave a comment on John Howell’s blog. I like to leave a comment on John’s blog because I’d like to stay on good terms with Tiny, the former WWE star. Despite the fact that the WordPress app was running. I could switch to it. I was already logged-in and I was still me; as soon as I pressed ‘Like’, I was forced to login to WordPress.

After I logged in, I could like the blog. But, if I wanted to leave a comment, I had to login again. AND, on some fancy-schmancy blogs like John’s I had to log in a THIRD time in order to post the comment!

I’m not sure if the problem is solely related to the WordPress app, or if my iPhone was uncomfortable with the connections various connections we had. In any case, I will be back to normal by the time a lot of you read this. I’m not sure when the WordPress app will be back to normal.

We had a great weekend. I hope you did too. I’ll be sharing photos, stories and doors later this week/month. Right now, I think it’s my turn to drive.

This entry was posted in Family, Humor, Technology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to I Guess My Technology Was Homesick

1. Jennie says:

Sheesh! What a pain, Dan. I hope WordPress helped. Live Chat is pretty good. Happy blogging days ahead, or at least happy ‘like’ days.

2. Victo Dolore says:

I have the log in thing happen sometimes on the app from my iPhone if I try to like after following a reblog to the original. I can do anything else I want, even post from my blog. But I cannot like that post unless I type in my password.

I will give you bonus points for just trying.
    I cannot – I just won’t – try to use WP on my phone. Life is too short for that kind of aggravation.

4. quiall says:

What can a luddite wanna be possibly say? Except, be kind to the nerds, they are running this world!

I am not a fan of reading blogs on my phone, although I’ll do it from time to time. The print is too small for my aging eyes. WordPress can be weird on the phone. There are times it also asks me to log in when I’m already logged in and can respond to comments or go to the Admin page. I think it depends on how I maneuver to the blog post – through email, Twitter or FB. I really prefer to sit at the laptop to do all of this…the phone is merely a convenience for the times that I can’t.

6. I still haven’t upgraded from my 2004 flip phone, so, obviously, I don’t blog with that piece of hardware. I do, however, read and comment and like from my Android Tablet – but NOT using the app. WordPress (or the app store)(or both, I suppose) keep offering me to download the app, but I’ve been there, done that, and hated every pixel of the experience.
    That said, it does make for entertaining reading when you relate your (aggravating) experience!

7. hilarymb says:

Hi Dan – I took my ipad out for a walk last week … and now it won’t update … frustration – as you say. I’ll get to it sometime soon – just don’t understand and I should. Right get a coffee and see if that improves my wakefulness … glad you got through though … cheers Hilary

8. I have a problem when I try to like or comment on a blog that is not on WordPress. I’ve learned the hard way to copy my comment before I hit anything because it usually takes me from 3-5 attempts to get it to post. Technology is amazing when it works the way we want. :-)

Copying your comment before trying to post is the best advice EVER, Judy. I have been burned by that so many times. These were all WP blogs, and it didn’t matter if it was WP hosted, private hosted or those comment-management-system thingies. WordPress refuses (yes still) to recognize that I am me, even though it asks me if I want to open the app where it knows I am logged in.

• hilarymb says:

Hi Judy – I use Blogger and so set up a WP account – that solves that problem .. you could do the same with a gmail and Blogger … hope this helps … it’s the easiest way to get round other blog systems … cheers Hilary

You are very wise to stay on the good side of Tiny.

Now you’ve got me wondering about the connection thingy. Some sites do not like it when your IP address changes. Although, I must say, as I told you before, my husband has this happen fairly regularly to him, and plenty of times, he’s at home when it happens.
    I don’t like WP mobile. I tried, but I just don’t like it.
    Love the hibiscus, bee balm, and fleabane — much the same around here. The squirrel who’s always asking for your wife is my favorite :)

11. Liu Min says:

The login issue happens to me very often too…sometimes I just want to leave a comment but it keeps asking me to type in account name and password, and other times it takes forever to load the page….😴 …hahah like the way you put it tho
    ..homesick technology

12. I’m going to save your readers. Let’s just say Mitchell has removed all hammers or puncturing objects from my ofice desk.

13. Yeesh, the WordPress gremlins really had it in for you, Dan. I would have needed that cheesecake too! (Yeah, that one about Tiny today slayed me.) Hugs.

Some day, I will go to an Eat ‘n’ Park, where I will park and eat. Sorry you were having such a hard time of it, Dan!

15. I applaud your fortitude…afraid I would not have been as patient…that type of thing frustrates me and I would have just given up and moved on to something else!! Have a great week!!

Some things have caught my eye on this post. First of all, replacing “perfectly fine analogue devices with digital crap that is bound to fail”. My boss recently bought the Ring Doorbell to replace the existing analogue doorbell. He has been struggling with it to make it work. I set it up for him until he could see the images of his visitors on his cell phone. But as soon as it was installed on the wall, it stopped working. I had to remove it and set up afresh. I asked my boss to buy a new router to boost the signal around the door area. He did, and again we could see the images and hear audio on his cell phone. It was reinstalled and it worked for two days. Then it stopped transmitting. It is not working to date. I know I should remove it and set it up again, but that’s not how it’s supposed to work, is it? Definitely not! The analogue doorbell was just fine, if you you ask me. Unfortunately it was removed to make room for the Ring.
    Secondly, I remember a certain post you wrote awhile back about seeing a new word for the first time somewhere and then seeing it again elsewhere in a short span of time. I don’t know what the post was called, but the phenomenon has just happened to me. Prius. It’s a car, I reckon. But I saw the name for the first time just this morning. And I was wondering what kind of car it might be. I made a mental note to Google it later on but I haven’t. Yet here I see the word again. I’ll look it up.
    Thirdly, I have had the same problem with WordPress. There are blogs that require me to log in afresh just to “Like”. I don’t understand because I’m always logged in, and blogs like No Facilities, Daily (W)Rite, etc do not ask me to log in afresh.
    Thanks Dan. I have said a lot.

• Paul Engel says:

I was shopping for outdoor battery operated wireless security cameras recently. I was about to buy one on Amazon and read the reviews. One of the poor ones related an experience like yours. The reviewer included the response from the vendor’s tech support team…”The device should be between 5′ and 10′ from the router”. SERIOUSLY!!! Intended order cancelled!

I’m glad you did Peter! Apparently, you saved Paul some trouble. I think we are still in the infancy of digital devices. I have a post about that in the works. They get these things working in the lab, and go to market. The pressure to beat the other guys is too great to allow for things like “testing” and those steps in the process.

The phenomenon is “Baader-Meinhof” not to be confused with the terrorist group by the same name. It’s funny, because the line about the Prius was a last-minute addition. I felt like that thought needed a third element.

I hope WordPress gets this figured out soon, I read a lot of blogs from my phone. I remember when WP didn’t run spellcheck on the phone. My comments during that period are pretty rough.

17. JT Twissel says:

I was wondering why I keep finding your (and Norm’s) comments in Spam. I have a terrible time with my iPhone – it thinks it’s smarter than me and has wagged war to make me as stupid and uneducated as possible to the folks whose blogs I follow.

My mouth is agape at the Heath Bar cheesecake. It remisn my favorite commercial candy bar. Heat bar coffee toffee ice cream by Ban and Jerry. 😱Love those pale pink blooms. Sorry about the device troubles. WP does that to me all the time, especially if I am viewing blogs through Yahoo instead of Google. 😳?! Hang in there.

19. I’m sorry about you phone issues. I hate to go to WP on my phone. It is a hassle every time. One problem I have is when I’m away from my MAC I can’t remember my passwords. Yeah, I have them written down but I never take the book. No, I don’t trust the cloud. Photos were great.

20. Although I’ve never had those crazy spelling suggestions (that’s not to say that my correctly spelled words aren’t automatically changed to other correctly spelled – but incorrect- words), I do find myself having to sign in – and re-sign in to people’s blogs just to leave a simple like and/or comment. Makes me nuts.

Thanks for the comment (or should I say ghsnkd for the comment). The spellcheck on my phone is 30% useless, 20% counter-productive and 50% helpful. The login, login, login, log in again, is driving me nuts.

21. You’re not alone. WP drove me nuts this Saturday–it stopped only when I updated the iphone update. Enjoy the drive! I look forward to your further posts and maybe a few more pics of your trip.

Thanks Damyanti. In addition to all of that, it tossed this comment into spam. How dare they. You’ll be seeing more photos in the coming weeks. I have resolved this issue.

22. I found you in my spam not long ago. I carefully lifed you out, Dan. :)

23. We created technology. Not me, but mankind. I could live without it. Anyway, we created technology, and now it controls us.

I did (and am still doing) my part to help create more technology, but it can go off the rails.

• Technology is like a dark, vast hole for me that I’m still climbing. Right now, Facebook is my nemesis. One of my book’s posts did so well and brought sales, without the help of Facebook ads, that Facebook has banned my posting in any groups for three days. There went the sales. They called it Spam. Once, Google closed my account since it was doing well and called it Phishing. Eventually, the Google robot realized my mistake and gave back my account–after a whole year. That felt good. I had to vent to someone. Someone tech savvy.

24. Eirini says:

Oh wow. technology these days haha

25. Sounds very similar to problems I was having with WordPress last year, Dan. Took WordPress ages to sort out, and it was only after I wrote a post about it and attached screenshots of what was happening that they got it sorted out (I had to ask them to read my post). However, the problem I was having was also happening on my iMac. Thank goodness it’s never reoccurred.

Thanks Hugh. Thankfully, I am not having the problem with my (Windows) laptop, but I have become painfully aware of how much I use my phone for keeping up with other blogs. The WordPress app works fine. I could use the reader, but there are so many posts to scroll through to find the ones I follow by email.

• It was something to do with the web browser I was using, Dan. I was using ‘Chrome’ at the time. WordPress wrote me a lengthy response as to what had happened and what they had done to fix the problem. I published it on my blog just in case other Bloggers were having the same problem which, from the comments, people were. Anyway, hopefully, it’s now all sorted out for you.

It’s not sorted yet, Hugh. I remember that post, and I did try using the Google Chrome app, but that didn’t make a difference. I’ll let you know if they figure it out. I’m leaning toward something with cookies, because it’s affecting both browsers.

I had the same problem a few months back. Unlike you though, I was not pressed for time. I finally did get to that high level of frustration though and used CCleaner and Malwarebytes to get the gunk out of my PC. It seemed to work because I have not had the problem since then.

That’s interesting. I can sorta see how the the things those products go after could affect the PC. This is only happening on my phone. I was hoping it was the collection of new IP addresses I was working from, but the problem continued after I returned home.

• Glynis Jolly says:

Can you clear your phone? I am just thinking it might have something to do with the browser cache in some way. With my PC, it was a combination of the cache and PUPs caught by Malwarebytes. [Do not ask me what PUPs are. I do not know other than they are not viruses.]

I did try that. It seems to be s WordPress issue. It’s not recognizing that I’m logged in after I leave the site. PUPs are “Potentially Unwanted Program” and Malwarebytes tends to be aggressive with getting rid of them. Thanks.

27. Well I give you bonus points for trying! I have deleted the WP app. I couldn’t easily post from it, or comment on blogs easily, and comfortably without a zillion typos so…Delete! When I read blogs on my cell phone I do it from my chrome app browser. I rarely leave a comment though I wait til I get home, or at my desktop for comments. I don’t know if I’ll ever be comfortable using the little bitty keyboard on the cell phone.
    So, I’m pretty much “dark” on the week-ends, and then spend days playing catch-up during the week. Which is what I’m still doing this morning. :)

The flowers look so pretty with the rain drops. I’m guessing Pittsburgh. :)

28. When it works, it’s invisible, Dan. When it isn’t working, it’s a total pain in the tush. I tend to get frustrated and give up – at least you tried. :-)

29. Ha ha! Yes, I also got in a few “issues” like yours. I also use my iPhone when traveling if not driving. Have you met the thing when you type but the letters don’t appear and then show up suddenly? It’s the weirdest and most annoying stuff. No worries, I don’t think you’ve ever left a comment with a single typo :)

30. simonfalk28 says:

I too had similar problems with the app on the past, Dan, on both a Motorola and iPhones. The constant log in prompts are exasperating. Hope it is sorted for you now.