Thursday Doors – PA Trolley Doors

I really like this trolley entrance.

On our recent visit to Pittsburgh, we made a last-minute diversion to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum near Washington, PA. Truth be told, we always referred to Washington as “Little Washington” so as not to confuse it with Washington, D.C. I guess we weren’t concerned about Washington state. Anyway, we had a few extra hours, so a ride, a tour and a lot of trollies.

So many trollies, that I have more door photos than will fit today. I’ll do my best to describe them in the gallery (click to start a slide show and see the captions). I’ll finish-up on a future Thursday when I have time to toss in a little information about the museum. I’m still playing catch-up with this week.

Thursday Doors is product of Canada where doors are imported from around the world by Norm Frampton, Limited. If you want to view the current inventory, head to Norm’s showroom. Look at the doors on the main floor, then click on the blue frog for access to the warehouse. If you have doors to share, the frog will hook you up.

This entry was posted in Family, Thursday Doors, Travel and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Thursday Doors – PA Trolley Doors

1. Ruth says:

Wow, these are great – what a fascinating museum :-)

2. I’ve been to a trolley museum in Maine, but it has been a while. These are great doors, and I love the repurposing to a hunting cabin. That took some imagination. And, could Faith explain to several of us how to get into and out of that position without calling the Fire department? :-)

Thanks for the laugh, Judy. Yeah, my wife says “you have to get down lower sometimes for a good photo” and I just wonder…

The tour guide told us that a man bought two old trolley cars and turned them both into cabins. Clever.

3. Henrietta Watson says:

Reblogged this on Blog Pad 2017.

They’re all great, Dan, but I think I like the horse-drawn trolley best.

5. Jennie says:

What a delight to see these trolley cars! The doors are beautiful, some with multiple colors and patterned windows and panels. Love the interior- gorgeous wood.

6. ianbcross says:

In England, the term “trolleyed” is a euphemism for getting drunk. Plenty of trolleys in this post!

So much to comment on!
    1) LOVE this week’s intro to Norm’s Thursday Doors. You have such a knack for fun writing :)
    2) the first photo of the baggage door with the old trunk in front is my favourite. That old trunk reminds me of the one my mom had when she immigrated from Holland after the war.
    3) great photo of the interior of the trolley. Love all that wood seating … probably not overly comfortable though.
    4) I can’t help but brag – I can still get down like Faith to get a photo. Somehow I suspect she does it with considerably more grace though ;)

“Too cute!” You nailed it–it is adorable. I do love all the wood in the business end of the trolley. It is beautiful.

Bravo! I think I like trolleys as much as you love trains, although am not able to indulge myself that often. I am happy to say I got to ride a trolley, movie style, in San Francisco once. There are trolleys in NOLA but that is usually a very hot, sticky affair. Still, the are so magical to me. Great post!

You have to admire the craftsmanship. The doors could have been plain and utilitarian – but the designers chose to please the eye with panels.

I think that’s what I am most impressed with. These cars had a rough life, and they held up very well to the elements AND they looked great. During the tour, we learned about the utilitarian aspects, but it was so cool to see how they managed to still make it visually appealing.

11. I love the idea of turning an old trolley into a cabin. I can imagine having one in my garden as a getaway for reading and drinking tea. And I feel sorry for those poor mules who had to drag that trolley. Crikey.

Thanks Laura. Seriously, being a mule in Pittsburgh had to be the worst job ever! The car alone is heavy, and the hills are steep and frequent. Personally, I’d like the trolley car that was made into a private car for the owner. I could live in that.

12. Those are beautiful and interesting doors, and history! I love the Trolley’s! I admit I now have the ding-ding of Mr. Roger’s Trolley in my head. :)

That Trolley that needed pulling by horses or mules is a gem! They must have been some big mules, or Clydesdale type horses.

We have old trolleys in San Francisco, they’re electric now. I just love their curved lines and contours and lovely shades of green and yellow, and of course the Cable Cars. The workmanship in those interiors is exquisite!

Mr. Rogers is a Pittsburgh export to the larger community, too. I was never surprised to see him as a lover of trolleys. I wouldn’t want to be the mule that had to pull that trolley up those hills. There were times I worried about the electric trolleys not being up to the task. I love the craftsmanship in those older cars.

“The frog will hook you up” bwaaaaa – laughing my butt off :-D
    I can still bend down like that but my knees snap, crackle, and pop on the way down. Then there’s figuring out the getting back up part which is way more challenging than it used to be.
    Nice selection of trolleys and doors. The tiny trolley out on the grass is just adorable. Fun post Dan.

The trolley doors are delightful, Dan! I have had very few trolley rides in my lifetime, but I enjoyed each and every one. They have a trolley (not on a track) here in Appleton if you ever get this way and want a tour of the downtown and neighboring areas. Thanks for a fun post!

I have to figure out a way to get out there, Mary. Riding the trolley into downtown with my mom is one of my favorite memories with her. I spent way more time with my dad, and he always drove everywhere. If you were traveling with my mom, you would choose trolley over her driving, any day of the week.

15. Vicky says:

Wow, much fun. What a great museum, whoever thought trollies could be so diverse!

Thanks Vivky. They changed over time. The trolleys in the museum are from late 1800s to about the 1950s – 60s. They evolved a bit, but there’s a lot of similarity and still they all seem unique.

16. hilarymb says:

Hi Dan – looks fun … lovely to have the carriages preserved for people to see … and what a great extra diversion to your trip … cheers Hilary

17. Dan Antion says:

Thanks Hilary. It was a fun tour and they had a lot of interesting cars on display.

18. Beautiful selection, Dan. I love the horse-drawn trolley.

19. All of these look great, Dan. Glad you had some time to visit again.

20. Great photos, Dan. That looks like so much fun and they’re just beautiful.

Splendid doors today, Dan! I shall sing “clang, clang, clang went the trolley” the rest of the evening now! Heh.
    I love the yellow custom one, but then I love the gray weathered one with the smooth wooden doors on the back or front, and then your ride :)
    Also, that old baggage! Niiiiiice!

22. I love the beautiful art pieces that just happen to provide transportation! We have a trolley system here – the cars are bright red, but they are nowhere as lovely as the ones in your pictures. I think my favorite one is mini “225.”

23. I took a trolley in San Antonio. It was nothing like being with Mr. Rogers. Ha…
    So cool, Dan

I liked your lead off picture with the sign, “Safety Always.” The nice antique trunk on the step up into another trolley was really a nice set up for a picture opportunity. The best part was you knew the young woman taking her own photo, Dan. ;)
    Gosh, I liked the Westview 10 photograph with the tour guide in his trolley cap, like an engineer might wear. My Mom used to ride an electric trolley from Middletown down to Cincinnati. It is more than a 30 mile stretch. Just wondering how long a trolley route might run in distance?

Thanks Robin. Some of these spread out over long distances or offered the ability to transfer to other systems. We were actually on a tour with a group of children from Ohio. It was fun.

25. jesh stg says:

Great display of trolleys! The orange one almost looks like a train! In Holland there are more tams than trolleys. My son who lives in the Hague, has his room right (2nd story, so it’s no that noisy) in front of a tram. He kind of likes it.

26. simonfalk28 says:

You have really treated us this time, Dan. Great photos of doors and wonders on the rails. Thanks for sharing.

27. Liu Min says:

Great photos as always! This is a really interesting museam! :)

28. Such fun, Dan! I liked seeing inside the trolley you rode. And the little bitty one is too cute. However, I’m infatuated with the yellow one. :D Hmmm… maybe my faery-verse needs a yellow trolley…
    Have a wonder-filled weekend. Hugs!

29. dennyho says:

Wish I would have visited this museum while living in Pgh. It is on my list for when I return. So happy to read about this…

30. Too many Washington(s) :)
    What a gorgeous gallery of doors. I was happy about my little train station from North Carolina the other day. Your trolleys are spectacular.

31. JT Twissel says:

I just took a trolley ride down in SF – such fun but they didn’t clang! Did your’s clang?

32. misifusa says:

Ah the doors! Love those today! Thanks for sharing them!