When I was packing up my office, I stumbled across a few mementos from a period about twenty years ago when I volunteered for our local Junior Achievement (JA) program. I was the leader/teacher for the JA program designed for fifth grade students. I was assigned to a class in a Catholic elementary school near my office. Our family was attending a Catholic church at the time, and I was serving on the Board of that church’s elementary school – it seemed like a good fit.
The fifth grade JA Program was designed to teach the students about business. The students were divided into groups. Each group was allowed to choose a business to use as a model during the various sections. There were sections on types of business, types of manufacturing and, most important for today’s one liner, marketing. The marketing section included a lesson on advertising. During the advertising lesson, students were allowed to choose. They could prepare and perform a skit – a commercial, or they could create a poster – a print ad.
As instructors, we were encouraged to share our expertise with the class. I offered to teach two extra classes in which I would explain how websites are built. In addition, I offered to let the students construct a single webpage that I agreed to host on a website I was running at the time. This way, the parents and grandparents could see the business the students had created. This offer had to be reviewed and approved by the principal – who, as is often the case in Catholic schools, was a Nun.
The good Sister agreed to my proposal, with the following caveat:
“At no time can any information that would reveal the identity of any student be displayed on these web sites.”
That made sense.
I explained my offer and Sister’s restriction to the students. The students were excited, and the five groups designed web pages containing the following information:
- Business name
- Description of the business
- Hours of operation
In addition, the students were encouraged to design and draw a logo, a map and any other graphic information they thought would be helpful.
Work proceeded. Posters were created, skits were performed, and web pages were designed. The design of the web pages and all the supporting material were reviewed by me, by the teacher and by the Principal. I took my laptop and a projector to the classroom. We constructed the web pages and published them. The published sites were reviewed by me, the teacher and the Principal. The URLs were given to the children and the pages remained available for three months.
When I took the web pages down, I noticed that on the map of one of the sites, the students had put their names in as street names. Five student names, hidden in plain sight.
This post is part of Linda G. Hill’s fun weekly series One-Liner Wednesday. If you have a one-liner, I’d encourage you to join in on the fun. You can follow this link to participate and to see the one-liners from the other participants. It also reminds me of a post by Jennie about her creative students. Today’s photos are from a foggy walk with Maddie.