If you’re not a fan of Do-it-Yourself projects, you can skip to the photos, glance at the non-project-related ones and move on. Have a nice day.
One of my projects that a few people have been asking about is the facelift I am giving our garden shed. I’ve been getting things ready, hoping to start this week. I built this shed over 25 years ago. I won’t bore you with the long history of the building, but it’s been sitting in its current location for most of that time, and it has settled a little bit. My initial reaction was to tear the shed down and build a new one. But the roof doesn’t leak, the walls are plumb and the floor is level. Also, although I’d like a much bigger shed, I don’t need one. All of our lawn and garden equipment and tools fit.
I convinced myself that, since the shed is shaded by two trees until late afternoon, that I could start working on this project on Saturday, despite the fact that it was going to be 98°f (37°c).
I’ve worked in heat like this before, and it really isn’t as bad as you would think. However, the first step on this project was a crummy one.
Due to the settling, the siding on one of the walls is touching the ground. That is a recipe for disaster. The sidewalls are T-111 which wicks water like Quicky (the Nesquik Bunny) with fresh glass of Quick®. Again, I’ll spare you the options I threw out. I decided to jack up the shed (one side at a time) wrap the T-111 in a waterproof membrane and secure the membrane to the pressure treated structure of the base.
Some of you are probably shaking your heads and mumbling, “did he say jack up the shed?” Yes, I did. It’s not that heavy and it only had to come up about six inches for me to install the membrane. Once protected from the water, I don’t care if it comes in contact with the ground. Still, it was nasty work.
I had to clear the dirt away from the walls. Then I had to attach brackets to the walls and fashion some cribbing so the jack could lift the side. The shed is in the far corner of our yard, two sides are within 2′ (61cm) of the fence so bending down and working is difficult. Kneeling was required. Kneeling in the dirt on a 98° day. The membrane I used is very sticky, and some of the adhesive got on my hands which led to dirt sticking to my hands. Once I folded the membrane under the T-111, I nailed a thin strip of PVC trim to hold the membrane in place. When I say ‘nail,’ I mean using a pneumatic nailer. Those things use a blast of air to drive a piston, and…well, let’s just say there’s an exhaust that blows dirt all around. Dirt plus adhesive plus sweat equals one miserable human.
I managed to install the membrane to three sides. The fourth side, the side with the main door, is still far enough above the ground that I can wrap it without jacking it up. Once I install the siding, I plan to dig out around the shed and replace the dirt with pea stone fill. We are a long way away from that, but we are underway.